+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum pump oil.

Post Likes

Vacuum pump oil.

Would like to hear how often guys change the vacuum pump oil?
    RYJ advise after every evacuation, but seems like that is a CYA from them for warranty issues.
    In reality, what giudes are used when to change it?
    Seems a waste to change if you have a clean system and do a few jobs.
    Of course, should it become contaminated, that would be a no brainer.

Post Likes
    I know all what everyone says,,, change it each and every time and twice on Sundays,,,,,,,I change mine when I have a hard time pulling down to 500. I would guess I average about a dozen Evacs per change.

Post Likes
    I found out quick you change it right after evac of a acidic system. My pump turned nasty cause it sat after this.

Then again for good measure.

Post Likes
    for best results, and long vacuum pump life, it should be changed after each use. don't forget those contaminates, acid, moisture, etc. also will damage your pump over time.

that said, I change mine about every 2 or 3 uses.....unless I use it on a large system where it's running for a few hours, then it gets changed after that use.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    for best results, and long vacuum pump life, it should be changed after each use. don't forget those contaminates, acid, moisture, etc. also will damage your pump over time.

that said, I change mine about every 2 or 3 uses.....unless I use it on a large system where it's running for a few hours, then it gets changed after that use.
    Thanks, I guess it΄s what I e`xpected to hear. Basically use your common sense. Better stock up then!

Post Likes
    Any compressor failure I change it immediately after evac, the oil flows better and you get more out when it's hot. On new units with new linesets I'll do 4-6 and change the oil.

Make sure you're using a micron gauge, if it's taking longer to get down below 500, change the oil even if it's been all new units.

Post Likes
    I use an Appion TEZ8 vacuum pump, makes for very easy changes. I carry 3 containers of fresh synthetic vacuum oil each time I need the pump. Sometimes I change the oil during evacuation if its pulling too slow.

Post Likes
    Ditto for the Appion TEZ8. Oil changes are quick. The quantity of oil is less. And the evacuation is more efficient.

Post Likes
    Thanks a lot for all the feedback, it has helped give me some good guidlines of what people do.

Just one last question. I have a RJY Super evac and supplied with its own oil.
    Is it OK to use any vacuum pump oil as there are many and different costs.
    As long as it is of the right specification it should be fine as long as it is a recognised one.

Post Likes
    Apogies for bumping this, only other choice was a new thread which might not be appreciated.
    Any feedback on the below?

[B]"Just one last question. I have a RJY Super evac and supplied with its own oil.
    As long as it is of the right specification it should be fine as long as it is a recognised one".

Post Likes
    How many Robinair pump owners pour oil directly into the pump intake as it is running to flush old oil out?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Itstony View Post
    Apogies for bumping this, only other choice was a new thread which might not be appreciated.
    Any feedback on the below?

[B]"Just one last question. I have a RJY Super evac and supplied with its own oil.
    As long as it is of the right specification it should be fine as long as it is a recognised one".
    I buy whatever they have on the shelf. Never had any issues. As far a "when to change the oil", bleed a little oil out and check for water and discoloration. If you see water and/or discoloration change the oil. If the oil still looks good, then connect your micron gauge directly to the pump and see how low it'll pull. According to something I read somewhere a good pump should pull a minimum of 50 microns on itself. If it won't, then you either need to change the oil or a buy a new pump, whichever the case may be.

The rate at which a pump will pull down a system is directly related to how low the pump will go. For instance, a pump that will only pull 500 microns minimum on itself would take literally forever to pull 500 microns on a system. So logic dictates that the lower it'll go, the quicker it'll evacuate a system.

I don't change the oil after every use. That's ridiculous IMO. My current vacuum pump is 4 years old at least and will still pull less than 30 microns on itself in nothing flat with used oil in it. Just checked it last week and BTW it still has that used oil in it. When I change the oil again, which will probably be next week sometime due to the mild weather and spare time we'll have, I'll recheck it.

Post Likes
    Thanks hvacrmedic, good reply and advice.

Post Likes
    I oil change every time on burnouts. And every 5 uses on everything else.

I have never had a situation when my 6 cfm YJ pump would fail to reach an overall balance of 500 microns.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in