Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 40 to 46 of 46
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    Posts
    239
    I know of "2" units that have been running like this for 2 seasons..,no call backs.Tech did say he had trouble getting his Delta T. in spec. No customer complaints! I,ve wondered myself,what long term affects may be?

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,557
    Back in one of the OP's posts, he said he would "run the vac pump for an hour," or something to that effect.

    OP: the time is not the benchmark to use. A micron gauge IS the way to ensure you have pulled a proper vacuum.

    We have left the age of running the pump for "awhile" behind us. Auto mechanics used to run a vac for only 30 mins in the days or R12 systems. I went to a class once where this was stated as the correct method.

    You can get an inexpensive micron gauge for less than a c-note.

    Do it right.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  3. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicmuffin View Post
    I know of "2" units that have been running like this for 2 seasons..,no call backs.Tech did say he had trouble getting his Delta T. in spec. No customer complaints! I,ve wondered myself,what long term affects may be?
    I'm going to theorize about what would happen in this system.

    Let's say his pressures were right for the system, but it was mixed with nitrogen/r22 refrigerant:

    1. The compressor would pump a nitrogen, r22 vapor mixture through the condenser
    2. R22 loses heat and condenses to a liquid, nitrogen remains a vapor in the liquid line
    3. Now you have liquid refrigerant mixed with nitrogen vapor bubbles.
    4. As these bubbles flow through the metering device, there wouldn't be any metering done until liquid refrigerant enters the metering device.

    There's no possible way a system could cool properly. I'm sure your coworkers Delta T was next to 0, and anything he said otherwise was false.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    7
    The damage is done I think you should take advantage of your mistake and take readings to see what non condensibles in a system looks like. Then reclaim,change your drier, and run a deep vacuum, weigh in your proper charge. Don't rush that is where accidents happen!

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
    I'm going to theorize about what would happen in this system.

    Let's say his pressures were right for the system, but it was mixed with nitrogen/r22 refrigerant:

    1. The compressor would pump a nitrogen, r22 vapor mixture through the condenser
    2. R22 loses heat and condenses to a liquid, nitrogen remains a vapor in the liquid line
    3. Now you have liquid refrigerant mixed with nitrogen vapor bubbles.
    4. As these bubbles flow through the metering device, there wouldn't be any metering done until liquid refrigerant enters the metering device.

    There's no possible way a system could cool properly. I'm sure your coworkers Delta T was next to 0, and anything he said otherwise was false.
    The systems that I've dealt with that have non-condensibles in them did work well enough.

    They just tripped on high pressure on occasion.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western, KY
    Posts
    3,172
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The systems that I've dealt with that have non-condensibles in them did work well enough.

    They just tripped on high pressure on occasion.
    I was under the impression that nitrogen would find a place to "settle" in the system, such as the top of the condenser coil, any truth in that?

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    6,048
    Depends if metering device has liquid seal or not.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event