Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sorry wont happen again

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/Stud View Post
    I've had HO's call me and won't turn their heat on till I come out and check it. I tell them, did it work last winter? They say worked "good". I say"change your filter, and call for heat"if it doesn't work I will come and check it.
    We,in the south have mostly heat pumps. Why would you check a HP twice a year? Contracts,it's a marketing thing.

Stud
    Don't hate on PMs, they are a good idea and are of value to the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Don't hate on PMs, they are a good idea and are of value to the customer.
    I totally agree! If you take your car to have the oil changed, you probably pay more per year that a good annual PM contract. You also have to think outside the box, home owners, plumbers, cable guys. electricians, etc. go into our attics all the time, and most are like a bull in a china closet, the only way you will know if something related to your a/c and heating system was damaged is a annual PM. We all have our on opinions, but I like to offer common sense opinions.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I totally agree! If you take your car to have the oil changed, you probably pay more per year that a good annual PM contract. You also have to think outside the box, home owners, plumbers, cable guys. electricians, etc. go into our attics all the time, and most are like a bull in a china closet, the only way you will know if something related to your a/c and heating system was damaged is a annual PM. We all have our on opinions, but I like to offer common sense opinions.
    Cable guys suck, why do they have to run 5000 feet of cable to go 30 feet? Why do they get away with not hanging there cable? How do they get away with running there cable along the exterior of a house up the side of the house across the pitched roof and into a gable vent then through the ceiling all the while crushing any duct in their path? I HATE cable guys!!!

Just keeping the discussion lively.

Still wonder how many of y'all do the same checks on their own HVAC system, that they push on HO's.

Back to Jamesbenen

I'd not sign a contract, have coil cleaning every two years. Today's units are designed to last ten years, that's why the ten year warranty.

Stud

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/Stud View Post
    Just keeping the discussion lively. Still wonder how many of y'all do the same checks on their own HVAC system, that they push on HO's.
    Stud
    Stud, everyone knows half the lights don't work in an electricians home, plumbers have leaky faucets, and a/c guys tell there wives "honey it's cooling the best it can". You are not comparing apple to apples, we know if we have a problem at anytime, home owners do not, I have been called out on calls were the home owner said they were in the attic getting down Christmas ornaments, and found this big pipe, laying up there, it was the vent pipe.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Stud, everyone knows half the lights don't work in an electricians home, plumbers have leaky faucets, and a/c guys tell there wives "honey it's cooling the best it can". You are not comparing apple to apples, we know if we have a problem at anytime, home owners do not, I have been called out on calls were the home owner said they were in the attic getting down Christmas ornaments, and found this big pipe, laying up there, it was the vent pipe.
    Yeah, I change my filters every once in a while and if its broke il fix it. Most Homeowners do not know how to change batteries in the stat much less anything else, so its a good idea to have someone who does know what they're looking at maintain it to prevent a break down when its really hot or really cold in the middle of the night as well as safety hazards that may arise. My contract customers also get priority service and 15% off repairs so if something big goes bad (compressor, hx, some motors, some boards, etc) they get a pretty significant savings that will pay for the contract for the year. Of course those items shouldn't break that often but they do break.

I had a situation in my house, I did a CA in the beginning of winter on my boiler, all ok. 2 weeks ago I checked again because I found some soot on the draft hood, I was running 600 ppm co. I think it came down to brushing my chimney and some of the soot landed on the burners and made it run horrible. Point is things can change fast, to the OP do you want to feel safe? I look at it as a safety inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    I had a situation in my house, I did a CA in the beginning of winter on my boiler, all ok. 2 weeks ago I checked again because I found some soot on the draft hood, I was running 600 ppm co. I think it came down to brushing my chimney and some of the soot landed on the burners and made it run horrible. Point is things can change fast, to the OP do you want to feel safe? I look at it as a safety inspection.
    X2

"I'd not sign a contract, have coil cleaning every two years. Today's units are designed to last ten years, that's why the ten year warranty."

Stud[/QUOTE
    With warranty vs service check, if you don't have your system service while under warranty and have proof then the manufacturer could say no we are not warranting your system. Have a five year I ran across the other day that was only three years old and the dog had been pissing on the coil. Did we cover it under warranty nope.

I dont know about that. I reprogram my thermostat at lease once a week.
    ®

If you don't get a ma wait till the season specials and get it checked

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast