Post American Standard vs. Trane

I have bids to replace my AC system, one is for an American Standard Allegiance 15 Gold XI unit, Trane XR15 and Trane XL15I. I need to know which Trane unit is comparable to the American Standard so I can compare pricing.

Trane's XR15 and XL15i are quite similar. The major differences being the XL15i has the proprietary plastic condenser top and carries an extra 2 yr warranty on the compressor, 10 yr on the XR15 and 12 yr on the XL 15i.

But to answer your question the Allegiance 15 would be closest to the XR15.

All good condensers if correctly sized and matched with correct furnace/air handler and evap coil.

What will you use as far as indoor unit?

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by mvetrano View Post
    I have bids to replace my AC system, one is for an American Standard Allegiance 15 Gold XI unit, Trane XR15 and Trane XL15I. I need to know which Trane unit is comparable to the American Standard so I can compare pricing.

Mechanically speaking, they are all essentially the same product. The XL15i has a better outdoor fan setup and is also quieter overall, although neither should be loud. How was sizing determined for the new system? Post the model of the indoor units for each option if you have them -- makes a difference in match-up efficiency.

Edit: I see tiger beat me to it. Refer to his post above.
    Last edited by RyanHughes; 01-18-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Mechanically speaking, they are all essentially the same product. The XL15i has a better outdoor fan setup and is also quieter overall, although neither should be loud. How was sizing determined for the new system? Post the model of the indoor units for each option if you have them -- makes a difference in match-up efficiency.

Edit: I see tiger beat me to it. Refer to his post above.
    Thank you Tiger and Ryan for the information. The only model numbers included in the quotes were for the outside units. As for the sizing, both contractors are replacing with the same size unit that is in right now. No measurements were taken by any of the contractors but the Trane contractor did walk each room in the house as well as outside and inspected each supply duct and return air duct.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    Trane's XR15 and XL15i are quite similar. The major differences being the XL15i has the proprietary plastic condenser top and carries an extra 2 yr warranty on the compressor, 10 yr on the XR15 and 12 yr on the XL 15i.

But to answer your question the Allegiance 15 would be closest to the XR15.

All good condensers if correctly sized and matched with correct furnace/air handler and evap coil.

What will you use as far as indoor unit?

IMO
    thank you tiger, see my answer to Ryan

Mvetrano

Let me be clear.

If you plan on pairing the Allegiance 15 and matching evap coil with an older furnace that does not have a var speed blower motor, you will be simply wasting your money.

Post back with your intentions before you make a poor mistake that you will regret.

IMO

As others have stated the American Standared Alleginace 15 and the Trane XR 15 are the same unit just diffrent colors. They have the same mech. parts so one is not better then the other. Where as the XL15i is Trane's quietest single stage condenser with 2 more years warranty on compressor, covered top and diffrent designed blade then the XR 15 for queitness.

So what I would look for is the dealer that is going to do things right! The one that does a load cal. on the home, the one that review over ductwork supply and return etc... Basicly the one that goes the extra mile. Anyone can size your system by looking at what is there and going back with that same size.

At the end of the day with all things be equal this is what i would look at. This is wear you don't want to go with the cheapest bid but with the best installer. Ask for referrals from other customers, before and after pics, etc... Also like Tigerdunes, I am curtious to know if you are planing on just having the condenser and coil replaced only? If so as he pointed out without a variable speed furnace or even with a furnace with ECM motor you will not get a 15 seer rating out of the unit.

So what do you plan to do changed out furnace, coil and condenser or just coil and condenser?