-150 Degree Lab Freezer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question -150 Degree Lab Freezer

Get to work on one of these tomorow, just wondering if anyoe knows anything about them... Im basicly going in blind, i know its made by Fisher Scientific, but thats about it.. no model number or anything
    Ive worked on a few -80s but apperently this is a whole different animal. Noone else at my company or any other company in town wants to go near it, so i figured id give it a shot.
    Anyone know anything about these babys?
    Thanx

Jeeeeeezus thats cold

Is this one of them deals where you walk inside one freezer , then inside another , inside another , getting colder and colder

Probably a small reach in or chest freezer. Probably a microprocessor controlled cascade system with two different refrigerant circuits (possibly running two different refrigerants) and a refrigerant to refrigerant heat exchanger. Stage one cools the box on the evap side and warms the hxe, and stage two cools the hxe and discards heat at the air side condenser. Low temp side maybe 404a or 508b, warmer side 134a.

Here's a little background:
    http://www.ishrae.in/journals/2000july/article05.html

...Or it's liquid nitrogen.

Damn never seen these would love to put my hands on it...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Getting kinda close to cryogenics isn't it. Where do you put the dead people while your fixing it ?

Ultra low temp its most likely cascade and will haveb134a and r23. The condenser from the 23 is cooled by the EVAP of the 134a. Try to rule out everything other than charge before you go jerking the 23 ckt around.
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Work on the -80s which are 404 on stage one and propane and 508b on 2nd stage... this one is different tho, 1 comp with a mix of about 12 diff gasses... 134,404,23,24,n2,600 etc.. they freeze human brains in it... einstiens mabey.. tomorow should be interesting

Just a reachin deal, glad its not a walkin....yikes

Nice good luck.. bring back a few pictures for a tease

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Ill samp some pics if im allowed....or noones around

Probley just needs z new a19

-150 is an autocascade. Single compressor (3HP scroll iirc) 4-5 different refrigerants in one system. The higher pressure gases act like non-condensibles in the air cooled condenser, after which liquid is dropped out through a cap tube to a heat exchanger that cools the vapor that didnt condense in the air cooled condenser, so on and so forth. At the end you have argon in a saturated vapor state going through the evaporator. I like working on them, most people run screaming. Mostly cause they don't want to do what the manufacturer says needs to be done to get it right...

Quote Originally Posted by cmclifton View Post
    -150 is an autocascade. Single compressor (3HP scroll iirc) 4-5 different refrigerants in one system. The higher pressure gases act like non-condensibles in the air cooled condenser, after which liquid is dropped out through a cap tube to a heat exchanger that cools the vapor that didnt condense in the air cooled condenser, so on and so forth. At the end you have argon in a saturated vapor state going through the evaporator. I like working on them, most people run screaming. Mostly cause they don't want to do what the manufacturer says needs to be done to get it right...
    Best description I seen for an autocascade, depending upon the age, it may also be a 3 stage cascade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast