HIGH SCHOOL -- 1958 vs. 2012
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1958 vs. 2012

Scenario 1:Jack goes duck hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
    1958 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
    2012 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again.
    Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:Johnnyand Mark get into a fist fight after school.
    1958 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
    2012 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark.They are both charged withassault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:Jeffreywill not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
    1958 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class,sits still and does not disrupt class again.
    2012 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family getsextra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability. And there is a remote possibility Jeffrey becomes angry over not getting the attention he thinks he deserves... and takes his anger out by doing something unthinkable... (fill in the blank).

Scenario 4:Billybreaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
    1958 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
    2012- Billy's dad isarrested for child abuse, Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologistis told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has anaffair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
    1958 -Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.
    2012- The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched fordrugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:Pedro fails high school English.
    1958 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
    2012 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching Englishas a requirement forgraduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system andPedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway
    but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a modelairplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
    1958 - Ants die.
    2012- ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism.The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers areconfiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly model airplanes again.

Scenario 8:Johnnyfalls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by histeacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
    1958 –In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    2012 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison.Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.
    (end)

Yeah, cute reading... I am sure this one or a variation has gone around for decades... however:

Tell me which one is a better system... which one produces better adults ready to be productive citizens... and which one destroys our society?
    (3 separate questions to answer).

GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Scenario 1:Jack goes duck hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
    1958 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
    2012 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again.

1958 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
    2012 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark.They are both charged withassault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

1958 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class,sits still and does not disrupt class again.
    2012 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family getsextra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability. And there is a remote possibility Jeffrey becomes angry over not getting the attention he thinks he deserves... and takes his anger out by doing something unthinkable... (fill in the blank).

Scenario 4:Billybreaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
    1958 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
    2012- Billy's dad isarrested for child abuse, Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologistis told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has anaffair with the psychologist.

2012- The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched fordrugs and weapons.

2012 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching Englishas a requirement forgraduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system andPedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway

Scenario 7:Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a modelairplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
    1958 - Ants die.
    2012- ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism.The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers areconfiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly model airplanes again.

Scenario 8:Johnnyfalls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by histeacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
    1958 –In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    2012 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison.Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.
    (end)

Yeah, cute reading... I am sure this one or a variation has gone around for decades... however:

Tell me which one is a better system... which one produces better adults ready to be productive citizens... and which one destroys our society?

Funny everyone except commies, ant-Americans and liberals know the correct answer to the three questions. The answer for the first two is 1958 and the 3rd question would be 2012. Simple. Thank you, thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Funny everyone except commies, ant-Americans and liberals know the correct answer to the three questions. The answer for the first two is 1958 and the 3rd question would be 2012. Simple. Thank you, thank you very much.
    You and I believe this... so WHY?

Lets get a discussion going; especially the WHY.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

that generation in 1958 has parents and relative that goes through the 30s, ww2, and korean war. those tragic event will teach a society common sense, creativity, courage, and solidarity. neither 2012 school age kids nor their parents has never experience catasthropic failure. north america has been politicaly stable for the last 50 years. there's no coup d'etat going or military dictatorship. until this whole generation experiencing war and major economic failure with no bailout (do I get bail out money if I file for bankcruptcy?) then there will be no change in attitude. individual "rights" will continue to trump common sense.

I believe iraq and afghan war was not backed by good enough reason to go to war in the 1st place. saddam should've been taken out a while back, not after a terrorist attack... no one ever won any war in afghanistan anyway.... except probably alexander the great. but I'm not sure at what cost...and there's no regards to the enemies well being unlike in today's war. we try to make war a bit more palatable...
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

I agree that year 1958 was way much better than 2012. It was the time when this country was a paradise comparing to rest of the world. So what happened since then?
    Our employees (the members of congress and senate), over the years, destroyed culture and values of our parents, by slowly killing these values with new laws. I am not going to blame any party because I think that guilt goes both ways.

I think you are right Blitz... however the reason I started the thread was to get a discussion going as to WHY the reactions in 1958 are the right ones... and the reactions in 2012 are the WRONG ones... specific reasons.

I will give a reason I believe the 1958 solutions are right and the 2012 solutions are wrong... well two:

First... the solutions in 1958 make the individual take responsibility for their choices... and live with it.
    And the solutions for 2012 are WRONG... because the govt tries to go in and control everything.

Really simple.

Anyone have other thoughts?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Paradise is relative. Perhaps ending world fear of nuclear Armageddon was not so bad, for example.

Regardless, I share these rose colored glasses.

The why is plain as day. The decline of families and communities.

That said, you DO realize that every generation since Cicero's Rome has decried the following generation as the cause of the overall decline of civilization?

Because being in high school in 1958 our children had to be prepared for the sex drugs and rock and roll of the 60s.
    Tim leary, free love and Vietnam.
    Now the 70s Ahh the seventys Mini skirts, fast and sleek cars and nascar races worth watching in black and white.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    I agree that year 1958 was way much better than 2012. It was the time when this country was a paradise comparing to rest of the world. So what happened since then?
    Our employees (the members of congress and senate), over the years, destroyed culture and values of our parents, by slowly killing these values with new laws. I am not going to blame any party because I think that guilt goes both ways.
    Actually it was the pill and R&R that did it. It gave the young generation control and freedom over their lives. It replaced religion as the glue that stuck society together. Nothing to do with laws passed by politicians, by the time politicians get involved it is too late.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sweat hog View Post
    Because being in high school in 1958 our children had to be prepared for the sex drugs and rock and roll of the 60s.
    Tim leary, free love and Vietnam.
    Now the 70s Ahh the seventys Mini skirts, fast and sleek cars and nascar races worth watching in black and white.
    Funny, I answered before I read your post. Kind of on the same lines.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

1958 - Ants die.

1958 In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    (end)

Typical generational rant updated with a generous helping of hyperbole.

You boys pine about times in '58, I'll take 2013 everytime.

Gotta admit though, there is nothing cooler than an official Davey Crockett coonskin cap.

Thank you for the memories. Those were great times. With the high taxes, mom needs to go to work to support the family (assuming dad's still around). Who's to watch the kids? Everyone is to tired to discipline the kids. It's easier to let them watch TV or do the video games.

Anyway, I'm glad that I lived during those early years. Remember when we could go anywhere (without the parents) and the only requirement was to be home by 5pm for dinner. The kids don't know what they're missing.

The OP is how things were.
    This is how things are now.
    Things will be different in the future.

Deal with it, or go live under a rock.

My generation will complain just like yours in another 20 years, and there's nothing an HVAC forum rant can do about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast