Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

HVAC to Refrigeration

Hi, I have been working full time in HVAC for about a year and refrigeration interests me much more. Does anyone have any suggestions in what to study before looking searching for a job?

Thank you very much

Yes start with Ice Machines ,then reach ins, get involved with RSES very good place to start.
    Regards

You've already found your best resource. Get your post count up and go pro, then you can see all the good stuff.

Thank you very much techwizard and ryan

I have looked into rses training materials in the past. Are you referring to the R/AC series of text books?

I would very much like to go pro and read the educational forums

Read Heatcraft IOM, then get a job

A lot of stuff out there to read, IOMs, forums like this, text books, and such. I would hit them all. Experience is the best teacher and no substitute for time. Be patient and persistent. The first lesson is SLOW down. This side is a bit more critical then comfort cooling and gas and go tech crash and burn pretty quick. Learn the difference between symptom and problem and pursue the problem. Fix it and the symptom will likewise be corrected. Throwing charge at low pressure will get you in trouble. Good luck.

You haven't mentioned if you were commercial or residential HVAC. I find electrical knowledge & electrical troubleshooting skills of utmost importance when working in the commercial side of this business & this is especially true in refrigeration. Master your electrical skills. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    You haven't mentioned if you were commercial or residential HVAC. I find electrical knowledge & electrical troubleshooting skills of utmost importance when working in the commercial side of this business & this is especially true in refrigeration. Master your electrical skills. Good Luck
    I don't want to discount your statement about electrical knowledge, but I will have to disagree some. It doesn't take a genius to troubleshoot even a good size walk in refrigerator with a pumpdown system.

I'd focus more on the sequences of operation to start with. What happens first and in what order it will happen. Once you know this, you can then evaluate what is missing and go from there.

I do mostly light commercial but have done some residential and heavy commercial. We are actually working right now on a few residential apartment buildings with up to 70 apartments in one which we are installing a vrf systems in each apartment. The troubleshooting on these units are probably similiar to refrigetion since there are a lot of solenoid valves.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    I don't want to discount your statement about electrical knowledge, but I will have to disagree some. It doesn't take a genius to troubleshoot even a good size walk in refrigerator with a pumpdown system.
    What's the purpose of your statement if you aren't discounting it? Sounds as if you are telling this kid he doesn't need to understand electric control circuits.

I'd focus more on the sequences of operation to start with. What happens first and in what order it will happen. Once you know this, you can then evaluate what is missing and go from there.
    I certainly agree with this too. But having sound electric understanding is very important in my book. Maybe I think this way cause I have better electric skills & knowledge than the average guy. My first trade for years before learning refrigeration.

True a walk-in cooler is straight forward. After that it can get pretty perplexing moving on to a freezer. If one does not have good electrical skills then he/she best be looking for the schematic.

I've come across some pretty screwed up wiring before , especially with freezers with heaters and time clocks and defrost delays and points not making good contact and LPS and HPS going bad and Ranco switches , wires melting on the heaters .... oh buddy you will have fun with electrical issues

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    I've come across some pretty screwed up wiring before , especially with freezers with heaters and time clocks and defrost delays and points not making good contact and LPS and HPS going bad and Ranco switches , wires melting on the heaters .... oh buddy you will have fun with electrical issues

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast