+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tool for copeland semi herm sight glasses

Post Likes

Tool for copeland semi herm sight glasses

Does copeland make a tool to remove/replace the sight glass in their semis? We run across leakers, my boss made a tool out of a washer to pull them out.......it works, but is getting kind of worn. We find them leaking periodically. Thanks.

Post Likes
    They always have me replace the compressor when that happens. Personally I find it a waste of money but there buying the compressors. I would find a piece of flat bar stock that fits the cut outs. You would not believe how many I've changed because of it. The next most leaking point I find at the high side service valve.

Post Likes
    I use a quarter with a lines man plier. does the job.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Yeah, this one was on a hussman dipping cabinet. One of our guys has been out a couple times and gassed it up, but now the owner wanted us to find the leak. So I got some hits around the glass and had small bubbles during run, but not on off cycle. Obviously, the leak check was during off time, lol.

Post Likes
    a quarter, that is funny! I;ll try it.

Post Likes
    No quarters?? take the knock out if the electrical box.. Cause that quarter is definitely gonna grab useless after your done with it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    There is a tool for the bigger ones, it fits on a 3/8 socket and looks like a flat blade screwdriver?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I made a SG removal tool from an old 3/4" socket:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....s-Removal-Tool
    Nice.

Post Likes
    Armstrong makes one the Part# is 12-893 fits a 1/2" drive.
    Name:  SG Tool.jpg
Views: 2053
Size:  51.0 KB

Post Likes
    Drag link socket

Post Likes
    People seriously replace compressors because the sight glass is leaking?!?!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    Yep..can count at least five last year. All in Hussmann dipping cases with Copeland semi's.

Post Likes
    I think that is robbery. I wonder what the customer would say if they knew the facts? That is like replacing your car engine because the oil filter is leaking because it is loose.

Post Likes
    I think that is robbery. I wonder what the customer would say if they knew the facts? That is like replacing your car engine because the oil filter is leaking because it is loose.
    In my case they would be robbing thyself. They buy there own compressors. I wish I could keep the replaced ones but obviously they want them back for the cores.

Post Likes
    This was on an chiller but I'm gonna go there anyway.

Had one scroll die out of the tandem of 3. They were older copelands with the sight glass in the front and the crossover tube in the back. New compressor requires an oil crossover kit be installed and old sight glasses removed. Have you tried getting one of those out after 10 years of being sweat on? I tried once and failed miserably. The next time I changed the entire sled. Wrong? I don't think so, you can have a critical machine be handicapped because of this. Give them the option? Absolutely but everything comes with risk and the customer had the pleasure of making that call.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Wrong? I don't think so, you can have a critical machine be handicapped because of this. Give them the option? Absolutely but everything comes with risk and the customer had the pleasure of making that call.
    Yep...same here. ever time a case goes down they lose between $500-1000 in product. I have tried to stop leaks at sight glasses as well. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Same goes with this customer and valve plates. They don't want to here it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    This was on an chiller but I'm gonna go there anyway.

Had one scroll die out of the tandem of 3. They were older copelands with the sight glass in the front and the crossover tube in the back. New compressor requires an oil crossover kit be installed and old sight glasses removed. Have you tried getting one of those out after 10 years of being sweat on? I tried once and failed miserably. The next time I changed the entire sled. Wrong? I don't think so, you can have a critical machine be handicapped because of this. Give them the option? Absolutely but everything comes with risk and the customer had the pleasure of making that call.
    That is certainly a special circumstance. We all have these sometimes. I know for a fact that there are many technicians out there that will replace a semi-hermetic compressor in a heartbeat because the sight glass is leaking. I know is especially since one of our technicians did this two weeks ago. It took me 30 seconds in the shop to tighten the sight glass and it no longer leaks. His excuse was that he "heard" that once it starts leaking you can never really stop it so you should replace the compressor. This is complete BS.

Post Likes
    That is certainly a special circumstance. We all have these sometimes. I know for a fact that there are many technicians out there that will replace a semi-hermetic compressor in a heartbeat because the sight glass is leaking. I know is especially since one of our technicians did this two weeks ago. It took me 30 seconds in the shop to tighten the sight glass and it no longer leaks. His excuse was that he "heard" that once it starts leaking you can never really stop it so you should replace the compressor. This is complete BS.
    It's a mentality, IMO.

Some guys are parts changers. New valve, new compressor, new unit, new motor, new, new, new, new, new...

Then you've got some guys, old timers particularly, that won't replace ANYTHING. They'll spend more time and money fixing something than it's worth. I've seen a guy spend 3-4 hours rebuilding a motor that cost about half of his labor to purchase and would have taken less than an hour to install.

A sharp tech will repair what can be repaired and replace what must be replaced, considering all factors in the process. Equipment reliability, equipment age, cost, downtime to repair, etc.

Post Likes
    Sorry I'm late responding to this thread. We have been using slightly modified (ground down) drag link sockets in our reman shop for years. Every K and L body Copeland gets new sight glass parts. If you need any components like gaskets or the retainer nut or the glass itself, send me a note, I'm glad to help.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in