Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think that is robbery. I wonder what the customer would say if they knew the facts? That is like replacing your car engine because the oil filter is leaking because it is loose.

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    I think that is robbery. I wonder what the customer would say if they knew the facts? That is like replacing your car engine because the oil filter is leaking because it is loose.
    In my case they would be robbing thyself. They buy there own compressors. I wish I could keep the replaced ones but obviously they want them back for the cores.

People seriously replace compressors because the sight glass is leaking?!?!
    This was on an chiller but I'm gonna go there anyway.

Had one scroll die out of the tandem of 3. They were older copelands with the sight glass in the front and the crossover tube in the back. New compressor requires an oil crossover kit be installed and old sight glasses removed. Have you tried getting one of those out after 10 years of being sweat on? I tried once and failed miserably. The next time I changed the entire sled. Wrong? I don't think so, you can have a critical machine be handicapped because of this. Give them the option? Absolutely but everything comes with risk and the customer had the pleasure of making that call.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Wrong? I don't think so, you can have a critical machine be handicapped because of this. Give them the option? Absolutely but everything comes with risk and the customer had the pleasure of making that call.
    Yep...same here. ever time a case goes down they lose between $500-1000 in product. I have tried to stop leaks at sight glasses as well. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Same goes with this customer and valve plates. They don't want to here it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    This was on an chiller but I'm gonna go there anyway.

Had one scroll die out of the tandem of 3. They were older copelands with the sight glass in the front and the crossover tube in the back. New compressor requires an oil crossover kit be installed and old sight glasses removed. Have you tried getting one of those out after 10 years of being sweat on? I tried once and failed miserably. The next time I changed the entire sled. Wrong? I don't think so, you can have a critical machine be handicapped because of this. Give them the option? Absolutely but everything comes with risk and the customer had the pleasure of making that call.
    That is certainly a special circumstance. We all have these sometimes. I know for a fact that there are many technicians out there that will replace a semi-hermetic compressor in a heartbeat because the sight glass is leaking. I know is especially since one of our technicians did this two weeks ago. It took me 30 seconds in the shop to tighten the sight glass and it no longer leaks. His excuse was that he "heard" that once it starts leaking you can never really stop it so you should replace the compressor. This is complete BS.

That is certainly a special circumstance. We all have these sometimes. I know for a fact that there are many technicians out there that will replace a semi-hermetic compressor in a heartbeat because the sight glass is leaking. I know is especially since one of our technicians did this two weeks ago. It took me 30 seconds in the shop to tighten the sight glass and it no longer leaks. His excuse was that he "heard" that once it starts leaking you can never really stop it so you should replace the compressor. This is complete BS.
    It's a mentality, IMO.

Some guys are parts changers. New valve, new compressor, new unit, new motor, new, new, new, new, new...

Then you've got some guys, old timers particularly, that won't replace ANYTHING. They'll spend more time and money fixing something than it's worth. I've seen a guy spend 3-4 hours rebuilding a motor that cost about half of his labor to purchase and would have taken less than an hour to install.

A sharp tech will repair what can be repaired and replace what must be replaced, considering all factors in the process. Equipment reliability, equipment age, cost, downtime to repair, etc.

Sorry I'm late responding to this thread. We have been using slightly modified (ground down) drag link sockets in our reman shop for years. Every K and L body Copeland gets new sight glass parts. If you need any components like gaskets or the retainer nut or the glass itself, send me a note, I'm glad to help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12