Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are getting parts or warranty coverage a hassle?

I've been dying to ask this question. Here's my reasoning: From what I've read here, you guys go the extra mile troubleshooting and satisfying the customer.

So.......how difficult is it to work with the manufacturer or the distributor when you have to get a part or deal with a warranty issue ?

Perhaps these issues (if any) are regional or brand?

From a customer point of view, I'm curious about this. I'm thinking of either Carrier or Trane specifically. I live in the Northwest and know that there are local distributors within a few 100 miles. But, that doesn't tell me anything about how hard it is for an HVAC tech to work with a distributor or company.

From a customer's view it should be quick and simple. You have a problem that is under warranty, a dealer (that the manufacturer recognizes as able to process warranties for your specific brand) comes out and does the work and only bills you for what might not be specifically covered under the appropriate warranties.

The tech seldom deals with the warranty other than filling out the appropriate information so that the office can process the warranty claim through the distributor.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Thanks firecontrol. It's always interesting to see your POV.

I don't know how many different manufacturers/distributors you or your HVAC business deal with, but are there any that are typically better in terms of paperwork, warranty or just plain getting OEM parts ? I know it should be seamless from a customer (my) pont of view, but the "big boys" make it difficult, then I would think that filters down.

Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    From a customer's view it should be quick and simple. You have a problem that is under warranty, a dealer (that the manufacturer recognizes as able to process warranties for your specific brand) comes out and does the work and only bills you for what might not be specifically covered under the appropriate warranties.

The tech seldom deals with the warranty other than filling out the appropriate information so that the office can process the warranty claim through the distributor.

In my area the ONLY one that is a pain in the A..... is Lennox. Carrier/Bryant/Payne/Trane/York/Goodman/American Standard....No Problems at all.

Varies by area, dealer & distributor. Some dealers won't warranty anyone elses jobs. We will, glad to pick up a new customer. They pay labor and any warranty costs.

A lot has to do with the distributor/wholsaler. For the most part, no hay problema.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Warranties are usually no problem, unless the part is not available except from manufacture it could take a few days to a week to get the part. York in the southeast is the best IMO distributed by M&A supply.

It sometimes depend on the volume of business the contractor does with a vendor. For example I had an issue with a xxxxxxx heat pump less than 1 old and when I called the distributor I told them I wanted a new outdoor unit. Done! In my experience some manufactures are more willing to help out their customer and some Are not. In my experience with the manufacturers you listed they are not but that is partially because we do not install those manufactures units typically.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    In my area the ONLY one that is a pain in the A..... is Lennox. Carrier/Bryant/Payne/Trane/York/Goodman/American Standard....No Problems at all.
    +1
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Varies by area, dealer & distributor. Some dealers won't warranty anyone else s jobs. We will, glad to pick up a new customer. They pay labor and any warranty costs.
    I agree with you here, but I go into warranty calls with a little more caution these days, than I did in yesteryear. There is one mgf. distributor here that I refuse to deal with period. I have never in 10 years dealing with them walked out with a warranty part, they always have it shipped to me, unless your one of their dealers, your a stepchild customer. Sad thing is they are literally walking distance from me, and they have some awesome looking counter gals, it's a bittersweet relationship.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Like others have said, ease of warranty varies depending on your location. As long as there is a distributor for the brand unit you have in your area it's usually not a problem. If so then there's a better chance of getting any warranty parts the same day with no extra shipping charges tacked on.
    It also makes it easier for any company to deal with the warranty in case you're not particularly happy with the installing company. Some distributors do make it harder for non dealers & tack on extra fees for warranty parts, its usually not a major expense but it does turn us off to their equipment.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

we have been selling Lennox for over 30 years and have had 0problems with warranty parts

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    I get good lennox support down here, as well as most other brands.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast