Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bosch Therm 660 EF makes horrible noise in simple radiant heat system

Post Likes
    the system needs the proper pump and piping parameters to work as designed, taking shortcuts just costs more money in the long run.

Post Likes
    Every "Expert" I talk to sayz that the other guy doesnt know what he's talking about.
    Story of my Hydronics life

Greg

Post Likes
    We're are you located? There might be a member here In your area.

Post Likes
    Too bad the expert their talking about is you. An engineer should have designed your hydronic system followed by a qualified installation company to install it using proper install practices that can only be learned thru schooling and OJT. This is not something you can do by following the directions in the install manual- obviously.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Too bad the expert their talking about is you. An engineer should have designed your hydronic system followed by a qualified installation company to install it using proper install practices that can only be learned thru schooling and OJT. This is not something you can do by following the directions in the install manual- obviously.
    Do me a favor and un-follow this thread

Thx

Post Likes
    I guess you can't face the facts of good money you wasted trying to take a short cut, don't be mad at me for pointing out the facts of your situation; time to pay the piper and stand up swollow your pride and ego. Or just listen to the hammering sound from you brand new system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg555 View Post
    50/50
    Why 50/50?

Looking at my handy chart (I deal in industrial chillers at my work):
    25% = 14F
    30% = 10F
    40% = -6F
    50% = -28F

Keep in mind the pipe burst rating is much lower temps. Meaning the freezing point is when the liquid is sitting in an open bucket and starts to turn into slush. Slush won't pump, but it won't destroy piping. 24% will get your burst protection to 0F, which is probably all you need.

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedL...romPage=GetDoc

To be honest, most cars probaly don't need 50%, but they are some and operated in such a wide range of location, that they play it safe. FWIM, we use 20-25% in our chilled water system so we can run 32F water temps, keep CW coils in 100% outside air handler from bursting if hte pumps or steam reheat fails, and lastly, I think 15-20% is needed ot prevent bacteria growth... obvisouly not an issue in a hot water boiler that runs over 120F.

Maybe just try dropping the glycol percentage and see what happens.

Post Likes
    Good luck Gregg with resolving your issues.

I'd continue to try and help in anyway I could (or am allowed to) if I felt it would make a difference, but I sense that won't be the case.

All of the threads in this forum provide information in one form or another to all those that read them. This thread is no different.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    We're are you located? There might be a member here In your area.
    I believe there are at least 2 members of this board that service his area. And would know how to fix this set up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I believe there are at least 2 members of this board that service his area. And would know how to fix this set up.
    How'd you get his location? Either way a member on this forum would be the best especially since they have good support here

Post Likes
    How'd you get his location? Either way a member on this forum would be the best especially since they have good support here
    I'm a mod. I can see the IP of any poster.

Post Likes
    I'm a mod. I can see the IP of any poster.
    Ya I kinda figured that, they must have to use there area for an application, can't remember it's been awhile.

Post Likes
    Ya I kinda figured that, they must have to use there area for an application, can't remember it's been awhile.
    There is an IP icon on my screen on every post anyone makes. Doesn't matter where or what computer you use to make the post, the IP of that computer is recorded with that post.

Post Likes
    There is an IP icon on my screen on every post anyone makes. Doesn't matter where or what computer you use to make the post, the IP of that computer is recorded with that post.
    Oh ok I get it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Why 50/50?

Looking at my handy chart (I deal in industrial chillers at my work):
    25% = 14F
    30% = 10F
    40% = -6F
    50% = -28F

Keep in mind the pipe burst rating is much lower temps. Meaning the freezing point is when the liquid is sitting in an open bucket and starts to turn into slush. Slush won't pump, but it won't destroy piping. 24% will get your burst protection to 0F, which is probably all you need.

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedL...romPage=GetDoc

To be honest, most cars probaly don't need 50%, but they are some and operated in such a wide range of location, that they play it safe. FWIM, we use 20-25% in our chilled water system so we can run 32F water temps, keep CW coils in 100% outside air handler from bursting if hte pumps or steam reheat fails, and lastly, I think 15-20% is needed ot prevent bacteria growth... obvisouly not an issue in a hot water boiler that runs over 120F.

Maybe just try dropping the glycol percentage and see what happens.
    I guess I didn't think much about it.

Lowest I seen my thermocouple buried in Concrete showed 32F

Post Likes
    It just depends on what you're trying to accomplish and your location for ground temepratures. But I figured since the glycol might be part of the problem, it wouldn't hurt to reduce it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    It just depends on what you're trying to accomplish and your location for ground temepratures. But I figured since the glycol might be part of the problem, it wouldn't hurt to reduce it.
    I will delute is to 20-25%

Im in Chicago

Post Likes
    Hello again.

I wanna thank everyone for their suggestions (except toocoolforschool )

I changed the pump to 11, diluted the coolant and is been running fine for the last 3 hours.

I hope its gonna be OK. Definitely a lot better. No noise but need to test more. I guess it was a combination of flow and coolant boiling.

Thanks again and hope didn't get anyone in trouble

Greg
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-18-2013 at 05:24 AM. Reason: removed uncalled for comment

Post Likes
    Yea I'll be the bad guy here, even though the op kept insisting for diy instructions, that's why I'm the boss. I know it sounded a little rough but I just put it in plain english no harm intended.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in