Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Confused Bosch Therm 660 EF makes horrible noise in simple radiant heat system

Hallo

Need help

Any idea why my tankless bolier makes this horrible clanking noise when used in my radiant floor system?

When I run tap water thru it (using isolator valves) everything is fine but as soon as I switch to my closed loop system it makes this noise (see video)

I have 4 loops about 200' each. Taco 10 pump with check valve, Extrol #30 tank, B&G air separator and its a very simple 1 zone system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM6tp...YfVJspXQWhL-2w

Im pretty sure there is no air in the system. I ran each loop for a long time until there was no bubbles. Tried different coolant pressure but I dont know what to do. Needle on the pressure gauge shakes when this noise occurs.

Willing to try any suggestions

Thanks

Greg
    Name:  IMG_2241.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  71.2 KB

Wow that sounds bad, id call a pro to have them look at it.

Im asking PROs here

For one I can't give an answer by hearing a 10 second video it's hard to tell the area the noise comes from. We don't give DIY advise here, it's right in the rules that you read, if I do I get in trouble.

I read the rules and it said to post questions in AOP section

If you cant answer then whats the point?

I am unable to pinpoint the area of the noise. Unit is pretty small and theres no way of knowing where it as its resonationg thru the whole unit

Greg
    email addresses are not allowed in pot, please put it in your profile, thank you.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-16-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: email

Sometimes It boils down to the question, assisting someone working on gas fired equipment can be dangerous so the owners of the site don't want the liability.

What your saying though is when the unit fires making domestic water it's quiet but when you heat the floor it makes that noise?

yes

Works fine when I pass tap water thru isolator valves and when I switch to the loop it makes the noise.

Thx
    Greg

PS. This system was not installed by me. It was done by a certified HVAC friend of mine.
    He is trying to help me but I have a feeling he does not know what is the cause so Im trying to get some pointers here.

I'd like to help but it's a strange situation, one of them things were you have to be there. The difference is a pump is pushing water through, but I can't think if a reason why it would do that. We do have a contractor map here to find good people in your area if that helps

u saying it would be better if the pump was after the boiler?

Can these Taco pumps go bad? I bought it new. It probably got 1 or 2 hrs on it
    Sometimes boiler doesnt want to turn on like theres a insufficient flow

Greg

Typically the pump is on the supply to the floor after the air vent, the slightly lower pressure lets the air out. Did you try hooking a hose on the return or loop and purging water out while letting water through the boiler? That would simulate how the domestic works but put the pump out of the equation. It's a long shot but it may tell you something. I wouldn't start changing parts or anything, a pro in your area might easily find the issue and save you money. If you have antifreeze what I just told you is a bad idea also because you will lose it. If I was in your area Id be up for the task, I like to fix weird stuff like that.

Is the pump backwards?

It looks ok I think

Looks like the flame in the sight glass is jumping around and there's plenty of orange in there.

Any chance the pump is flowing backwards? That sound has to be the pump if it doesn't happen when making hot water. Sounds like really bad cavitation.

What is hooked up to the the return service valve? Is there no permenant make-up water or auto fill valve? The PRV should be piped down to near floor level.

Totally off topic... but what do you ride? Motocross? or sportbikes?

Is't it preferred that the air sperate be at the highest point in the loop? So the expansion tank and seprator ideally would be located next to the boiler so the seperator is just above it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast