Thread: Scotsman IMO

Scotsman IMO

Model# nme954as-32b
    Serial# 06031320013026
    Looking for a operational manual on this machine. Never worked on this type of machine. Found evap and suction line frozen solid. Motor made a very loud grinding noise when I shut it down.
    TIA
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Found the model in the Scotsman handbook. Didn't see any service literature. I cleaned the machine even tho it didn't look to bad. Water filter is new. When I first shut unit down the auger made a terrible noise from the bottom side when it came to a stop. I ran warm water through it for 30 minutes after running the cleaner and sanitizer. While running the warm water it was producing nuggets but still frosting and iceing severely after exspansion valve to the suction of comp. Then I switched it back to the filtered water, ran it for maybe 20 minutes. I reluctantly installed my gauges on the machine due to the 30oz charge of 404a it holds. My pressures were 33/256 with a 75-80 ambient and slighty dirty condenser coil in the kitchen. It cut out on a safty before I could measure line temps. I shut the machine down until I can return. I was nervous to let it run and have the bearings or auger become damaged. The cook said it has been making the loud noise the last 2 days. I'm still looking into the operation of this style machine. Any thoughts...
    Chaos equals cash$$$

expansion valve or charging problems could cause the barrel temp to go too low, freezing the ice too solid and making the auger unable to turn. The motor or gearbox could be bad, causing the auger not to turn and removing the load from the machine, causing it to frost back. Even if the auger is turning too slow, it could freeze up too hard and fail. From what you described, though, I'd probably start with the expansion valve and a recharge and go from there

What is wrong with a 33psig suction? Sounds like you have a mechanical problem with evap auger.

I spoke with Scotsman today and was emailed all the service literature. I know understand a 33psi suction was ok. I was suggested to pull the auger and inspect the evap barrel. I found the auger really rough and scored on the bottom end and also the evap barrel was scored pretty good. I was told the stainless auger and the evap barrel were not worth replacing due to cost with labor and should recommend a new unit. I should have took some pics and posted. I'm no Scotsman expert but with the condition of the parts and the fact that I'm not nor my shop is in the rebuilding of a auger, barrel and bearings I suggested a second opinion and/or new unit with the labor cost. Customer was ok with my call... Thanks everyone for the guidance.
    Chaos equals cash$$$

I have replaced the gear box on a couple of them and the cost to the customer with that repair alone I believe was to much. I would definitely recommend selling them a new machine and a service contract. Proper maintenance should prevent them from having the same issues with a new machine..