Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Help! American Standard 18SEER

This is one of those buddy deals over the phone so i dont have any info besides this..it's been in the mid 30's & raining and his 2 stage heat pump is froze so big at the top that the fan blades are hitting the ice. The rest of the condenser has no ice at all. He called the nearest AS dealer & they said dont worry about it that all of them are doing it bc of the weather. I havent looked into it & have very little experience with AS, just wanted to hear some thoughts.

AS 18 SEER freezing

This is one of those buddy deals over the phone so i dont have any info besides this..it's been in the mid 30's & raining and his 2 stage heat pump is froze so big at the top that the fan blades are hitting the ice. The rest of the condenser has no ice at all. He called the nearest AS dealer & they said dont worry about it that all of them are doing it bc of the weather. I havent looked into it & have very little experience with AS, just wanted to hear some thoughts.

Heat pumps and freezing rain is not a good thing. Have them switch over to their aux heat
    until temps warm up and the sno cone thaws.
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Was looking for a technical explanation. I already know that heat pumps suck and they have supp heat. But it shouldnt freeze enough to hit the fan blades if it was working properly.

Heat Pumps don't "suck", it might be under charged if only half the coil is freezing up. If it has a defrost sensor it might be located at the other end of the coil and not reach the specified temp to kick it into defrost.
    It doesn't have to be a "AS" tech, it needs to be a competent tech.

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

On another note, what company is turning away a service call? At least send some out to check out the system and gain a customer.

~smoke~

They turn lots away if it is more than a 15 minute fix or if they cant sell them a new unit. I know why its not defrosting, The question is why is the top freezing and the bottom not?

my guess is that the house has no gutters and the melting ice is dripping right on the center of the heat pump.

The rain freezes on the top and not the coils. It has no way of defrosting the ice and it just collects until it interferes with fan blade.

Rain or undercharge.
    If there are noncondensibles you will see an un-even frosting pattern across the whole coil.

~smoke~

The OAT has not been below 34 & theres been no ice or anything on the house. The unit is on the eve end of the house so forget about water running off the house into it..& r glasgow, the top few rows of the coil are froze really big, not water freezing all across the top of the unit?

& if it were non CONDENSEables would that not be in the top of the condenser?? Not causing problems in the evaporator right?

Is water falling from the roof/gutter right on the top of the unit?
    Always here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast