+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top 5 Employer qualities?

Post Likes
    Just curious....what are the top 5 qualities that you look for when speaking to employers?

I would think that 1)honesty/integrity 2)support 3)training/advancement 4)pay 5)benefits would be the top 5 things *in that order* to look for. Thats just me though, what do you think?

Post Likes
    without respect, no amount of pay or benefits or new truck or support staffing is gonna make it work for you!

Finding a service contractor who has an actual office is a plus.
    One with a shop is even good. A fenced in "bone yard" is an additional feature.
    Someone who has several trucks on the road is good. But not necessarily the tops on my list.

An outfit with a listed phone number is good. One with Yellow Page advertising is a positive feature.

From there, it is a crap shoot as to what is important.

In my opinion, I would do more for someone who demonstrates respect. Rather than for someone who is a micro-manager or nit-picker.

A micro manager is someone who has serious control issues and has no people skills whatsoever!

A manager either makes or breaks the company you work for. It is not up to the service mechanics to do this, a manager has far more influence over the success or failure of a service contracting business than the techs do themselves!

Some may argue this, but I dont care.

Post Likes
    How about quality of customer base and rates charged. If a company is only going to charge me out at 60 an hour, then how are they ever going to pay me what Im worth, provide training, paid time off, the occasional call-back. Companies with a tight profit margin are always going to be looking for ways to get their heads above water.

eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Post Likes
    Originally posted by cg2
    How about quality of customer base and rates charged. If a company is only going to charge me out at 60 an hour, then how are they ever going to pay me what Im worth, provide training, paid time off, the occasional call-back. Companies with a tight profit margin are always going to be looking for ways to get their heads above water.

Once again, this boils down to a matter of respect. How is anyone gonna demonstrate respect for their men if do not have the brains to manage a company correctly?
    And charging $60 an hour for a field service mechanic is ridiculous!!! In fact, it is shameful!

Post Likes

employers

1: Benefits, 401k, pension, aflac, medical
    2: paid vacation, holidays, personal days
    3: Pay
    4: Hours 2,040 per year or more
    5: Training
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!
    Post Likes

getting colder, getting hotter?

Originally posted by thermotron1
    Just curious....what are the top 5 qualities that you look for when speaking to employers?

I would think that 1)honesty/integrity 2)support 3)training/advancement 4)pay 5)benefits would be the top 5 things *in that order* to look for. Thats just me though, what do you think?
    For me IT's
    1. I dont care if theyre honest abe or con man sham,of course i dont want to be part of a scandelous russian company or chinese, or arabian/paki/iraqi/iranian company, but,, if theyre solid, whether bouncing back or not and they got the customers,, its all about making lots of green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
    Bottom Line!
    as long as the money is always there, that means a guarenteed 40hr work week or plus, without having to work 50-60 hrs to make forty, no matter how they charge the customer! and keep it that way or dont try to pressure me for doing things their way, especially when its wrong!

2. I get a kick out of these contractors that, tell you to go back out there and do it their way, and you were right in the first place, its quite common, for these guys out there, then you just have to bill them for doubting your skills, when it was done right the first time!

3. Respect/money is number one they share the spot, theres no one or the other theyre Equally importante, in my book, and thats in spanish, too! Imagine that!

4. I got a good boss, compared to the last guy I worked for, this guy is like a god send!
    He just sends me to do my job! thats it bottom line! wow
    what more could a guy ask for?
    pay is on the low end, but i cant complain, kids will have a x-mas!
    I think I will put him on my x-mas list,,,
    boss appreciation day, for sures!

Post Likes
    1. freedom
    2. little or no uniforms
    3. pay
    4. drug testing
    5. support
    when life throws me a banjo, i play it

Post Likes

qualities

After being on both sides of the isle, I would definetly agree with R12rules! At the end of the day it always comes down to the relationship between you and your boss. When looking at a prospective employer I believe the most important consideration to keep in mind is ( What are you looking for, and willing to give to get there)? I interview techs. looking for work just for the money, further knowledge of trade, or a consistant paycheck. Are you an employee just passing through or willing to join a team and be a player? Bring answers or questions, solutions or problems? Even though I have trained a lot of techs. only to have them quit and go for the big money, I always gave respect and got it back! Topp tech. is going to max at 40 an hour in this trade, and you better be good and willing to assume all the responsibility from A to Z. After the respect fact, you must look for whats going to get you where you are going, and or take care of immediate circumstances. Do you have dependants? Do you need health insurance? How long are you planning on staying with the company? Do They have a retirement program? Is there a company match? Just a thought. Regard, mckim

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by michigan1 View Post
    1. freedom
    2. little or no uniforms
    3. pay
    4. drug testing
    5. support
    skimpy or skin wouldn't be too high on my list

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    skimpy or skin wouldn't be too high on my list
    hahahaha

I am in agreeance about the uniform thing, altho I never worked for a company that provided uniforms.
    gahh

Post Likes

Red face lets see

1.the company assume their own costs of operation.
    meaning dont put costs of running truck, phone bills, parts cost on the employee, its not the employees responsibility to be the employers accounting department.
    the company makes the money the employee should not have to pay the companies bills and then wait for his money back.
    if they do then they should put up a petty cash funds to the employee before hand and then have the reciepts submitted
    cause i havent seen too many owners pay for things for the company out of their money and then wait for funds back. owners carries credit cards of the company,
    2. wages fair for the cost of living in the area of the work.
    3. benifits, insurance, holidays, PTO,
    4. all tools, this includes truck, unless the company will cover replacement costs,
    5. hours, and no on call without being compensated, the medical field gets this, most other companies do, if you want an employee to set by his phone waiting for the phone to ring, then he is working, cause you have restricted his freedom, you require him to do anything for you then pay him for that
    most on call time gets compensated at 15% per hour of base pay, and double time when he answers a call
    If you cant cool it
    HEAT THE Hello out of it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by esornivram View Post
    1.the company assume their own costs of operation.
    meaning dont put costs of running truck, phone bills, parts cost on the employee, its not the employees responsibility to be the employers accounting department.
    the company makes the money the employee should not have to pay the companies bills and then wait for his money back.
    if they do then they should put up a petty cash funds to the employee before hand and then have the reciepts submitted
    cause i havent seen too many owners pay for things for the company out of their money and then wait for funds back. owners carries credit cards of the company,
    2. wages fair for the cost of living in the area of the work.
    3. benifits, insurance, holidays, PTO,
    4. all tools, this includes truck, unless the company will cover replacement costs,
    5. hours, and no on call without being compensated, the medical field gets this, most other companies do, if you want an employee to set by his phone waiting for the phone to ring, then he is working, cause you have restricted his freedom, you require him to do anything for you then pay him for that
    most on call time gets compensated at 15% per hour of base pay, and double time when he answers a call
    This boils down to respect, once more.

When I respect you, you simply show me a receipt and I simply write you a check or hand you the cash. No problemo.

Some want to fool around asking questions about :"what was the part for?" "was it really necessary for you to pay for this out of pocket? Afterall, there was a supply house only 75 miles awy from you... why didnt you just drive there and buy it? Then we'd have 90 days or longer before we have to pay for it!"

Seriously, some folks are THAT bad!

Post Likes

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by R12rules View Post
    This boils down to respect, once more.

When I respect you, you simply show me a receipt and I simply write you a check or hand you the cash. No problemo.

Some want to fool around asking questions about :"what was the part for?" "was it really necessary for you to pay for this out of pocket? Afterall, there was a supply house only 75 miles awy from you... why didnt you just drive there and buy it? Then we'd have 90 days or longer before we have to pay for it!"

Seriously, some folks are THAT bad!
    you missed my point, If they respect me give me an credit card, or gas card.
    why does an company expect me to pay their bills?
    especially when they hold back pay check for week, but i have to pay out for their operating cost imediately. its their costs, why am i paying them?
    that my point. their costs are their responsibility to pay. this process is using my credit to cover them. this ISNT my responsibility. its theirs, from the very begining. its just an hook to get your funds involved in the company.
    then does the owner have to do this? I would guess he has an company card to pay his company expenses. gas, hotels, etc.
    the expense of the operation of the company is the company's not the employee's,
    I did this ONCE and the company wouldnt pay me for my time it took to keep these records and time to send it all in and wait for the money to come back,
    thats money and time out of my familly life, food thats not on the table for an week or bills not paid till i get the funds back, & time that i WASNT being compensated for,. however if they had these record keeping in the office they would have to pay someone to keep track. it is an way for the company to get something that woud normally be a cost and put it on the employee and not pay him for it, thats my point.FEDERAL Law say anything i do that is for the employer I get compensated for, they miss this and think some dont know the law.
    I am not an pro book keeper, they would be able to do this much more cost effectively in comparison to my time, thats my point,
    now if they give me an petty cash funds up front then the funds are not out of my food money. then it would not be so bad, however my time still isnt free, and back to cost effectiveness versus my bookeeping
    If you cant cool it
    HEAT THE Hello out of it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by esornivram View Post
    you missed my point, If they respect me give me an credit card, or gas card.
    why does an company expect me to pay their bills?
    especially when they hold back pay check for week, but i have to pay out for their operating cost imediately. its their costs, why am i paying them?
    that my point. their costs are their responsibility to pay. this process is using my credit to cover them. this ISNT my responsibility. its theirs, from the very begining. its just an hook to get your funds involved in the company.
    then does the owner have to do this? I would guess he has an company card to pay his company expenses. gas, hotels, etc.
    the expense of the operation of the company is the company's not the employee's,
    I did this ONCE and the company wouldnt pay me for my time it took to keep these records and time to send it all in and wait for the money to come back,
    thats money and time out of my familly life, food thats not on the table for an week or bills not paid till i get the funds back, & time that i WASNT being compensated for,. however if they had these record keeping in the office they would have to pay someone to keep track. it is an way for the company to get something that woud normally be a cost and put it on the employee and not pay him for it, thats my point.FEDERAL Law say anything i do that is for the employer I get compensated for, they miss this and think some dont know the law.
    I am not an pro book keeper, they would be able to do this much more cost effectively in comparison to my time, thats my point,
    now if they give me an petty cash funds up front then the funds are not out of my food money. then it would not be so bad, however my time still isnt free, and back to cost effectiveness versus my bookeeping
    Getting a little off topic here, but the last company I worked for pulled the same crap. No credit card, no petty cash, and then it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get reimbursed.

I paid cash for a pressure washer at the companies request. Dropped $285.00 on a portable washer and when I turned in the receipt they decided they may not need it after all. Fought with them for over 2 months to get my $285.00 back.

We did have a company gas card, but 3 times last summer the card was denied. I paid for the fuel the first time (took 3 weeks to get it back) the last two times I just sat in the parking lot until they got it figured out - on the clock.

Post Likes
    1- Integrity of the company and Management. If you have been in your town awhile you know who is shady and who is not, who pushes you to sell parts and who wants you to fix it right even if the invoice could have been padded plenty. It is me the customer looks in the eye- I ain't flinching because the boss just bought a boat and needs to pay for it.

2- turnover of employees. I don't plan on working at a particular co. for the rest of my life but if nobody working there is over 40 or they have been there for two years but the co. has been around for twenty... sounds like I won't really have to worry about being a lifer there so why bother even starting?

3-The JOB. Description of duties required as well as the customers served.
    There are market chains (customers) I honestly don't want to work with- some for management reasons, others for sanitation ( or the lack thereof).
    Am I going to have to collect $2K CODs? Some don't mind that, some do.
    What is the duty schedule? Is it a position I can enjoy? (No pun intended).
    Interesting? Hours? Seasonal?

4- Benefits. Long term, short term, educational instruction. Reimbursement procedures for cash outlays- I don't mind putting out some cash to get a job done but I expect my employer to jump on getting MY money in MY pocket ASAP- "don't make me hold 500lbs of R502 hostage!"

5- Pay.

Please note these are not really in an order of importance because paying my bills really is important. I do not like switching out my truck, and I want to improve those places I go so I don't look to jump ship for a dollar more-
    never went that path.
    Look, just do your job, stay outta my way and we'll get along fine.

Teach your kids to respect themselves and others with your actions- these little baboons will imitate you like it or not.

Post Likes
    ram, sorry. I misunderstood your point. My point was that a boss dont need to make it complex WHEN a worker does need to pay out of their pocket for company materials or other expences.

However, I do agree with you that the boss SHOULD supply you with the resources to work in the field.
    And unless they give you a VISA or other universal creidt card, they NEED to supply you with ample petty cash.
    One employer of mine kept my bank bag full to the tune of $200. When this dwindled, I simply turned into the bookkeeper all the receipts in the zippered bag and viola, it was replenished INSTANTLY.

I agree an "employee" does NOT need to be funding his employer's operation.

Post Likes
    I worked for this one guy... he invited me to come 500 miles to help him out, POST Katrina.
    now y'all know I'm a nice guy. But heck fire... I didnt go there for my health!!!
    And once I get sat down in this sucker's office, he tries to come up with reasons why he dont want to pay me what I asked for!!!

I have decided to give him a whole chapter in my new book. He is quite a piece of work, indeed!

Post Likes
    1. honesty. no bull****. Don't tell me you are going to give me something and don't.

2. fair pay for fair work.

3. If I have to go out of pocket for a job reimburse me that pay period, (are you listening ##USA?) not 6 months later when I have to threaten legal action.

4. If I wanted to sell stuff I would be in sales. I am a tech. If I sell the customer parts or a unit it is because they need it. That isn't where my salary comes from and don't expect salary to be dependent on it.

5. And just as important as the rest The company needs to be honest and have decent management. MANAGE the damn operation

Post Likes
    i like chamber work just no czn

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in