Post Likes

Understanding bk function American Standard/Trane

Trying to figure out if the newer ACONT824 or gold 824 thermostat will communicate correctly with older equipment. I have been told that this thermostat will send pulses through the BK wire to the air handler or furnace to tell it which fan speed to operate at. Question is: Since these thermostats only came out in 2014 would they work the same way with a 2011 Tam7 air handler? The dehumidification does not respond correctly when I wire bk to bk on the ACONT824 instead of just y2 to bk(traditional wiring). This has happened in 2 other instances.

Question 2: If I wire R to O jumper does this mean the comfort R will be enabled in heating mode as well? Will the heating fan speed then also be the same as cooling speed? Any wiring suggestions would be greatly appreciated if allowed. 2011 Tam7 air handler with 2013 model 2 stage heat pump and ACONT824 thermostat.

Question 3: Anyone else have issues with these thermostats having bad temperature calibration? It's Not that i don't like this thermostat, Just trying to understand it.

Post Likes
    1: and 2: this is a communicating thermostat, you need the matching module at the indoor unit, and possibly at the outdoor unit. 3: these thermostats draw air through the bottom and out the top via natural convection, produced by the thermostat electronics. It is extremely sensitive to heat sources. IE you standing in front of the thermostat with the screen fully powered up. Walk away and come back and you will most likely find it right on the money. BTW don't even get me started on the thermostat loosing it's wifi connection, loosing history on a power fail, or having to be booted due to a communication failure. The instructions are also extremely vague on the memory card, and other functions. Yes, I have one in my house, and cuss the thing from time to time. Which could be fixed by better instructions.
    I only have to make it work till I retire.

Post Likes
    1: and 2: this is a communicating thermostat, you need the matching module at the indoor unit, and possibly at the outdoor unit. 3: these thermostats draw air through the bottom and out the top via natural convection, produced by the thermostat electronics. It is extremely sensitive to heat sources. IE you standing in front of the thermostat with the screen fully powered up. Walk away and come back and you will most likely find it right on the money. BTW don't even get me started on the thermostat loosing it's wifi connection, loosing history on a power fail, or having to be booted due to a communication failure. The instructions are also extremely vague on the memory card, and other functions. Yes, I have one in my house, and cuss the thing from time to time. Which could be fixed by better instructions.
    I think you are confusing the acont850 with the acont824. They are physically the same and almost identical in features, but The 824 is a 24v thermostat.
    Haven't lost history or wifi yet, but I have verizon Internet. I think they have worked out some of the bugs you are dealing with recently according to the am std regional technician.
    I am just wondering how the thermostat BK function communicates with the afc board on the TAM7. I don't think the older model afc boards can accept the same signal as the new afc boards on the new tam7. Have had issues with the TAM7 receiving the right cfm command.