+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gem three-door reach-in freezer - how many HP?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

Gem three-door reach-in freezer - how many HP?

Someone stole the condensing unit for this Gem three-door freezer. Three 30" doors. What HP condensing unit would you think it requires? The owner claims there is no model number on it.

PHM
    ------
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    wild ass guess would be 1 HP. I'll look at some old books when i get to work.

Post Likes
    I agree with 1 HP if it has solid doors. Glass doors would require a 1 1/2 HP like a KATB-015E-CAV.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I forgot the doors - they are glass: display doors.

Good thing I asked you - the owner said that he thought it had been 3 HP - which seems high to me - but I was still guessing 2 HP. <g>

But 1 1/2 HP will do it huh?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I agree with 1 HP if it has solid doors. Glass doors would require a 1 1/2 HP like a KATB-015E-CAV.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I was going by memory and what is currently used in 3-door reach-ins.

I do recall working with a 3-door Pinnacle however, which had a 2 HP EAV2-0200.

Post Likes
    say you oversized it by 1/2 hp , what might that do ....

pros cons

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    say you oversized it by 1/2 hp , what might that do ....

pros cons
    As long as the TXV (or the cap tube) is properly sized for the condensing unit capacity there should be no problem going up one size. It'll run a slightly lower evap temp and be able to hold a lower box temp. Supermarket cases do this all the time with essentially the same case for either frozen foods or ice cream. the ice cream just requires a bigger unit to hold the lower temps.

Actually, in PHM's case, the 2 HP unit may be the prudent approach. I found some old literature for a couple of other 3-door display freezers which called for 2 HP units.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in