A Really Hard Heat Pump to Figure Out the Make!

A Really Hard Heat Pump to Figure Out the Make!

Obviously, this is a joke. But this is the biggest one of these I've ever seen and it's still kind of working. I believe it to be a 5 ton. The air handler is all original with all the original relays and controls too. I'm about to replace it ----

It has the heat pump mode, two hot water coils fed from a boiler AND a big bank of electric resistance heaters all being powered by aluminum wire.Name:  20130508_132149.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  31.9 KBName:  20130508_132226.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  27.2 KBName:  20130506_143714.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  62.0 KBName:  20130506_143830.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  35.7 KBName:  20130506_143843.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  51.0 KB
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Been a long time since I've seen one of them!

Baldone
    Funny, I actually told her about you and your collection of the old relics such as this one. She told me to tell you it's yours for free and to come and get it!
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.

While I'd love to visit Seattle and see the beauty of that area, I don't think that will fit in the back seat. Thanks though

Just as I remember.
    Looking over the unit, the tag was always upside down.

If ya dont want the old one and are in the South End (e..g near Renton) I'll come pick it up and haul it away.

Would drop a small scroll into it and a variable speed fan and would make a great heater for my barn. ( using R290 or similar)

Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    If ya dont want the old one and are in the South End (e..g near Renton) I'll come pick it up and haul it away.

Would drop a small scroll into it and a variable speed fan and would make a great heater for my barn. ( using R290 or similar)
    Really? I'd like to see that and to have this thing working somewhere...so maybe. The home is in Kent so you could come pick it up. I'll let you know.

Son lives in Kent (East hill) so very easy for me to come get it if you are so inclined. Would even bring the truck, not even have to 'fit it in the front seat'. Would probably be a few months before I ever got around to doing the 'redesign', most definetly would not scrap it.

Have a GSHP at own home in Renton highlands made from parts of old 7.5T Carrier you might like to see someday, runs at around 5.6 COP. Definetly 'one of a kind'.

I'd like to see this piece of history run again in a useful manner. It's going to be at least a few weeks before I pull it out and I'll let you know. And the system is still charged so I know there are no leaks in the coils.

BTW, since the hot water coils are mounted before the indoor coil I assumed that there was an outdoor senso switching this system from Heat Pump to hot water but have not been able to find one anywhere. So that means this poor owner apparently had the indoor coil subject to the heat being produced by the hot water coil across the indoor coil. I can only imagine what the heat pressure must have been like.

Also the Honeywell two position supply valve was damaged on the manual opening lever. Getting further into the system and leaving a lot of details out I found that the Air Handler transformer AND the pool floor radiant heat transformer located in the end of the home were wired in series.

With the pool room transformer off the 24 volt valve received 9.2 volts since the pool room transformer was now acting as a load on the Air Handler transformer. When both transformers were turned on 51 volts were at the leads of the home how water 24 volt valve.

A new boiler was installed about 2007 and the owner told me she never had heat from that day on and all the guys she called could not fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post

Junkhound
    2nd notice. Maybe you did not get my first message. The unit is out and sitting on the ground. The AH and round one is ready to go if you still want it or I'm going to scrap it. Let me know ASAP please.