Guns and the government definition of "mentally ill"

before Obama talks you into agreeing to remove gun rights for the "mentally ill" , there's something you should know.

...betcha didn't know this...

ANY nurse,
    ANY police officer,
    and many officials can have you committed to a 3 to 7 day mental evaluation ,against your will, simply by walking up to you and saying "you look agitated"

even if you "pass" your evaluation, you lose your gun rights for months or a couple of years depending on what a judge feels like.
    THIS IS HOW IT IS NOW!

currently, even if you have guns registered to your address, the government doesn't ask where they are, they simply have it on the books that you can not be around guns until a certain time.
    (aren't the tyrants nice?)

the government passes a law that says "mentally ill can't own guns", then they give the authority hospital workers to declare you "mentally ill "without any kind of trial or conviction.
    you want to give them more ability?

don't let your private vision of common sense arm a corrupt government!

The problem is the mental heal industry is run by liberals who will do anything to avoid depriving someone of their rights. "It is counter productive to their recovery".
    I personally know of a case in california where a person went into an ER and begged them ti kill him because he was going to kill his family. He was admitted overnight for observation. He spoke with a Doctor and was relased the following day. He went home and killed his father by cutting his throat. (note no guns were used). The pboblem is not that too many innocent people will be rousted, it is that the people who SHOULD be institutionalized today are not.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    before Obama talks you into agreeing to remove gun rights for the "mentally ill" , there's something you should know.

...betcha didn't know this...

ANY nurse,
    ANY police officer,
    and many officials can have you committed to a 3 to 7 day mental evaluation ,against your will, simply by walking up to you and saying "you look agitated"

even if you "pass" your evaluation, you lose your gun rights for months or a couple of years depending on what a judge feels like.
    THIS IS HOW IT IS NOW!

currently, even if you have guns registered to your address, the government doesn't ask where they are, they simply have it on the books that you can not be around guns until a certain time.
    (aren't the tyrants nice?)

the government passes a law that says "mentally ill can't own guns", then they give the authority hospital workers to declare you "mentally ill "without any kind of trial or conviction.
    you want to give them more ability?

don't let your private vision of common sense arm a corrupt government!

Wolfe, I believe you are talking about your funny state of California here. In the great states of TN, MS, SC, NC & GA (states I have lived in) you have to have been committed to a mental institution or declared mentally ill by a psychiatrist to have your second amendment rights revoked.

Each state has its on rules as to who can and can't own guns. Apparently California makes it easy for you to lose your rights but that doesn't work in most "red" states. Thank you, thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

I can see the FEDS trying to pass a law like this... and try to say it succeeds local laws...

Looks like the 'states rights' folks will have their hands full for a while... pushing back the feds.

In my 60 years... I have seen this happen 3 times: The feds try to usurp power... and the states push back. Eery time the feds loose.... however they keep trying.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

This is one of the executive orders signed today. Why the CDC?

All the feds have to do is REDEFINE mentally ill.
    Then they just round up whoever they choose (gun owners) and take away their guns....
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

For you guys who have been in the HVACR game for more than a fleeting moment, by definition must be mentally ill, looks like you will loose your guns.
    Of course this includes myself!!!
    To be classed as mentally ill, then this does have to come from a fully qualified and trained professional.

To be classified as any 'title'... all a govt has to do is write a definition and tell the folks licensed by the govt what they MUST do to keep their licenses. Guess what will happen...

Today... it is the govt using mental illness to take away the guns... What will it be tomorrow??? Using physical health to take away driving and your car?

Anyone have a solution for how to stop a govt gone rogue...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

What wolfstrike is failing to mention is that just being COMMITTED to an institution or, in PA, what is called being "302'd" is NOT what loses your second amendment rights.

Yes, almost anyone can 302 (involuntary commission) another person, but for the 302 to go on record, that person MUST be examined by a qualified psychiatrist and ADJUDICATED as being mentally ill.

Once ADJUDICATED, you are prohibited from owning firearms.

Several people I know were 302'd after particularly stressful events in their lives, and that 302 was reduced to a 202 (voluntary admission) and that does NOT affect your rights.