styrofoam ductwork

Not too long ago I was on a call and in the attic was tons of Styrofoam duct. There was a main trunk line and each hit was made of Styrofoam also. In 14+ years I have only seen this once. My question is, was this homemade or did they actually sell this stuff at some point? It looked like alot of time consuming work. Has anyone ever seen this.

I think it's home made because you can not have exposed foam in any installation that I am aware of. The reason is it's highly toxic when it burns so it always has to be covered.

Although I like the idea....light, insulated, smooth surface that won't come apart in air stream.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectionist View Post
    I think it's home made because you can not have exposed foam in any installation that I am aware of. The reason is it's highly toxic when it burns so it always has to be covered.
    "exposed" is the key term.

http://www.kingspaninsulation.us/products/koolduct/

Approved for LEED points and everything.

Now as far as actual styrofoam, I've not seen it, but I do believe it possible for someone to make it at some point in time. Hell, supply houses sell copper glue for refrigerant systems. They've been selling leak "snake oil" sealer for years.
    How many of you guys have used dye?
    All poop, and some of it still used.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

The ah was around 30 yrs old and the fancy ductwork was probably the same age. I think ill stick to metal.

Are you sure the duct is structurally polystyrene, or is it metal duct insulated with EPS?

I've only seen tin duct-work until I moved out to PA. Its really popular out here. I haven't used it yet but hate the idea of it. My first thought when finding out it was a common method was that it eliminates the chances of using an inline humidifier. I dont like it!!

I believe if you look at most local code and IBC you will find that styrofoam duct is not an approved product for ducts today. It is possible that some locations in the past did not have any related code but an entirely styrofoam duct would be a bad idea for a host of reasons.