+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone use a yellow jacket 78060 gas pressure test kit?

Post Likes

Anyone use a yellow jacket 78060 gas pressure test kit?

I picked one up at a pawn shop today for $30. Looks like it's never been used and I'm curious what everybody thinks of them.

Post Likes
    I have one as my back up, I primarily use a Fieldpiece SDMN5. Love both of them
    ®

Post Likes
    Thanks. This one is actually my first manometer. I was looking around for the Fieldpiece and found the YJ instead. Don't really have the money to be buying new right now at the supply house.

Post Likes
    I hate to break it to you, but that kit isn't useful for manifold pressures on natural gas systems because the 0-35" WC scale is to large.
    The one they make, with a 0-10" WC scale, is ok for NG, but it is still a diaphragm type gauge, so isn't great.

The one you have is ok for checking LP gas systems.
    Neither one is at all useful for air side diagnostics.

I'd recommend a digital manometer, because they can be use for airflow diagnostics and gas pressure testing.
    My personal favorite is the Testo 510.

Post Likes
    Thanks Mark. Getting a digital is something I plan on doing. I couldn't find one in the pawn shops and I don't have the money right now to buy one at a supply house.

Post Likes
    Do the instructions still state "to thump" dial?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Yep

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but that kit isn't useful for manifold pressures on natural gas systems because the 0-35" WC scale is to large.
    The one they make, with a 0-10" WC scale, is ok for NG, but it is still a diaphragm type gauge, so isn't great.

The one you have is ok for checking LP gas systems.
    Neither one is at all useful for air side diagnostics.

I'd recommend a digital manometer, because they can be use for airflow diagnostics and gas pressure testing.
    My personal favorite is the Testo 510.
    I have to agree with Mr Beiser, you scale is much too high to read accurately...the larger the scale the larger the margin of error.

I do carry the YJ analog with the 0" to 10" scale (Uncle Clover gave it to me ) and I also carry a Testo 510 and a UEI digital manometer.

The UEI seats more firmly on the duct work because the magnet is bigger than the magnet on the 510. But all three have a place and all three read accurately.

Post Likes
    i would also suggest a digital manometer as well. I had a YJ analog pressure test kit, but had to get a digital for newer furnaces that require more precise manifold pressure. You can get a good differential manometer for $170 online. Testo 510 is my favorite also.

I return that YJ to the pawn shop if you can and save your money for a digital. You won't get much use out of the one you got..sorry

Don't forget about a good combustion analyzer. They can be more useful then a gas pressure manometer..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    i would also suggest a digital manometer as well. I had a YJ analog pressure test kit, but had to get a digital for newer furnaces that require more precise manifold pressure. You can get a good differential manometer for $170 online. Testo 510 is my favorite also.

I return that YJ to the pawn shop if you can and save your money for a digital. You won't get much use out of the one you got..sorry

Don't forget about a good combustion analyzer. They can be more useful then a gas pressure manometer..
    Nytefrog, don't you think he should keep the analog as a back up?

Even though the scale is larger than the usual analog it could still be useful on NG and LP, should he ever encounter it.

Post Likes
    no, i actually have two digitals with me. I use them to check pressure switches and HX pressure drop which the analog won't be useful at. If i still had the analog it won't be a bad idea to keep it for emergency but that why i invested in two digitals.

The range of the analog gotten at the pawn shop it to large to be very useful. Just saying that because when a furnace high fires rquires between 3.4-3.8" h20 that analog won't give me a reading i could trust
    Last edited by Nytefog; 02-01-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys. I know the digitals are better but works been so slow right now this is really all I can afford. Going all digital is in my future. But thats probably gonna have to wait for summer. Bad thing is I was actually looking for recovery machines. All of them were way overpriced.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clifpaul View Post
    Thanks guys. I know the digitals are better but works been so slow right now this is really all I can afford. Going all digital is in my future. But thats probably gonna have to wait for summer. Bad thing is I was actually looking for recovery machines. All of them were way overpriced.
    I'm sure in Texas A\C is more of a focus then heat. Your probably better off investing in a good set of digital gauges. I didn't believe in digital gauges until i used a set and now i can't believe i ever worked with out them!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clifpaul View Post
    Can you return for a refund or exchange?

Post Likes
    No on the refund or exchange. At least not at that pawn shop unless its defective. And its not. Check it on a lp furnace against a friends fieldpiece. And Nytefrog, ac is the bigger thing in TX. Unless you do commercial. And the place I'm at doesn't have enough commercial accounts to keep us working all the time. We do mostly residential stuff.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in