Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The only trouble with the comparison on cars is: they have gone way up in price. I'd guess a "family car" today is 10K more than 20 years ago. Is a 95% furnace lots more than a 92% furnace in 1992? No, probably LESS! And we wonder why they breakdown, are full of 3rd world country components or in the case of some products, made in Mexico altogether. People don't mind spending the big bucks on new cars but when you tell a guy with a 3 series in his garage that his 30 year old 60% furnace ought to be replaced, he screams like a stuck pig.

Bells break and so do whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The only trouble with the comparison on cars is: they have gone way up in price. I'd guess a "family car" today is 10K more than 20 years ago. Is a 95% furnace lots more than a 92% furnace in 1992? No, probably LESS! And we wonder why they breakdown, are full of 3rd world country components or in the case of some products, made in Mexico altogether. People don't mind spending the big bucks on new cars but when you tell a guy with a 3 series in his garage that his 30 year old 60% furnace ought to be replaced, he screams like a stuck pig.
    Furnaces don't look as good as granite countertops and "hardwood" flooring.
    Or a 3 series BMW....

People are idiots.

Did every one forget the annual replacing of a thermocouple or the rust in the burner chamber? Or replacing tubes in a tv or Points, plugs and distributure cap in your car?

More durable now.

I get a laugh at Trane's attempt to force the issue on replacement though. Evapcoil priced at $1000, but cased coil complete is only $500. Same coil, just remove the coil from the cabinet and now you have a cabinet worth $500 to sell on ebay.

I think gov interference affects quality as well. the reason many chemicals were used was because they worked.
    I've rarely seen lead paint mildew, but paint over it w/latex and in 6 mos it can mold/mildew.

oil base paint today doesn't seen to protect wood so well, fewer of the things that are limited now by regs. plastics don't have some of what they used to, or have to use recycled stuff that has degraded.

can't have lead in brass. low sulfor fuels don't lubricate pumps as well as older oil, ethaol gas eats up small engines. bio fuels have shorter shelf life.

Hydraulic hoses are rough texture now since old smooth ones had lead in the manuf process, but I don't think that has hurt quality, so its a good thing there.

How long would a mercury switch last vs metal contact? chlordane termite treatment vs newer stuff?

more tech added to machines to make more efficient, but at cost of lifespan. would point out that even w/shorter life, sometimes you can come out again on energy eff.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12