How many of you run Warranty calls on nights and Weekends? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Things have changed a lot since I was last in residential service... All warranty service calls called in outside of regular service hours were considered split calls with the customer responsible for the difference between regular and OT labor. Everything else was the same and any warranty was handled the same as a regular time call. We did run a lot of "late day" calls that came in after 4PM as regular calls, no matter what time they were run. I really didn't have any significant problems with customers, but did make the boss a little upset going behind other techs after maintenances and turning the call in as warranty due to something missed or forgotten. This only bit me once when I found out Monday that we had quoted a major system repair and the customer had lied to me. We lost the value of the 1 hour off hour service, but got a dual fuel system changeout with an extended warranty from the response, so I kept my tailfeathers!

Whenever I hear the "you guys were just here" I ask for an invoice to judge whether or not it's warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Whenever I hear the "you guys were just here" I ask for an invoice to judge whether or not it's warranty.
    Yep. I hear that just as much as "I just changed my filter"

I had one say you guys were just here working on my boiler now my toilet won't stop filling and my washing machine sounds different. I told him that it most likely wasn't related lol

Heard that one this week. "You guys just put a new system in,it's warranty right" says the customer. I reply let me see what's going on. Yep we install it all right,14 years ago.

Well sir I've got good news and bad news. Bad news is the labor warranty expired 13 years ago. The good news is it just needs some cleaning,be done shortly and it's only $xx.

The old new 10 year old system trick lol

We run calls on nights and weekends for all warranty work. We will bill accordingly for non- warranty work, but well go to figure it out. We operate under " make a customer happy they tell a friend, make them angry they tell ALL their friends".

The old new 10 year old system trick lol
    Well, new is in the eye of the beholder!

We run calls after hours on OT as well as 24/7 warranty.

Usually though when we tell customers that it probably will be the next business day before we will be able to order a warranty part, most of the time they wait for Monday to have us come out unless it is an emergency.

We will come out but we will explain to the customer that if the problem is unrelated to the work we have done or has to do with any type of modification that the customer has done, there will be a charge for coming out on OT with a OT charge for the repair if they should choose for us to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by ComfortService View Post
    We run calls after hours on OT as well as 24/7 warranty.

Usually though when we tell customers that it probably will be the next business day before we will be able to order a warranty part, most of the time they wait for Monday to have us come out unless it is an emergency.

We will come out but we will explain to the customer that if the problem is unrelated to the work we have done or has to do with any type of modification that the customer has done, there will be a charge for coming out on OT with a OT charge for the repair if they should choose for us to fix it.
    Had to explain this to a customer when I was on call last week. We quoted him on replacing a zone damper, but he decided to go out and buy one and install it himself. Called me up asking for me to come out and fix his problem (he wired it wrong and made the board release smoke) and got an attitude when I told him that because he got it on his own and did his own work, he'd be subject to a high truck charge.

I'm down with crazekody, customer very well knows he's the cause of the malfunction. I usually give them the option "today you pay(Sunday) Monday it' FREE. They usually pick Monday.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234