Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Run warranty or extended warranty on the weekend or at night? Shoot yea. It does not matter what time they call we have, I repeat HAVE to respond but as stated earlier we let them know if it is maintenance related or not due to our installation or equipment there will be charges. I thought this was a no brainer. And as stated before customer service is the name of the game, whether you like it or not. I personally don't like it and don't understand the extended warranty after hours, but it is what I have done for 25 years. Some people appreciate it while other expect it (unfortunately). And rich customers that is another topic in its self.

dogboy

If it is my install, i will go at midnight if necessary. If problem caused by his thermostat installation I could charge him BUT probably wouldn't. Customers attitude has alot todo with that decision.

It's all about customer attitude. I have customers that call after hours apologising about "bothering me", but I bite the bullet and do the call. If it's a warranty issue, I warrant it. If it's as non warranty issue, I charge accordingly. Usually, (because I'm a one man operation) they'll get by with a service call at regular rates. Most importantly, the customer is comfortable, and happy. That's the bottom line. I don't want them telling their neighbor or friends that I took advantage of them,,,,,,,and they will talk.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Damn... I'm surprised at the companies here that "don't run warranty calls after hours."

That is insane.

There are indeed many things that can wait until regular business hours. But, usually if the customer is concerned to the point of wanting a technician out to take a look, we will first have a technician speak with them to gather all the information. If it sounds like something that should be looked at ASAP for the safety or comfort of the client, we will go, 24/7. If it sounds like something that can wait and can be explained to the client but they still want us to come out and take a look, we will gladly come out and take a look to give them the peace of mind. When somebody buys a system from us, we let them know that we won't be the company to leave them hanging in the middle of the night.

And as far as NOT running warranty during regular business hours because you're "not going to be able to get the warranty parts until regular hours anyways..."

I'm speechless. We will at least bring them space heaters if there's a reason why we can't get them up and running. And this goes for NEW customers too, even if it were just a service call and not a new install. As far as a new install goes, we actually have it in our contract/proposal that if they are to break down within the first year of installation and we can't get them up and running that day, we will put them in a hotel for the evening. But I can say we've been offering this for a few years now, and not once have we had to honor it. Not because we haven't had our problems, but because we try to stay as fully stocked as possible, and will usually somehow be able to at least give them a temporary fix. But, worst case scenario we can't get them running, is the clients will be so joyed that we came out right away, day or night, just like we said, and we tried our best to get them up and running, and brought them space heaters if they don't have an alternate source of heat.

As far as this guy goes that the OP was originally talking about... well that's a bit of a special case, and greatly depends on the clients' attitude. Because yes, he did tamper with the system himself. Right there is where it's our job to explain why there would be a charge in that case, and if you have any bit of customer service skills, you should be able to get most (not all, I do understand there are some hardcases out there) people to understand and compromise. But if the client was cool about it and admitted that they shouldn't have touched it to begin with, we very well might be the nice guy and just waive some or all of the charges. This situation is very conditional...

But with the guy being pissed EXPECTING you to come out for nothing... well... that's a rock and a hard place. I don't want to use the word negotiate... but... sometimes you need to find a happy medium for people like this. Our type of business surely does depend on referrals and word of mouth. And regardless of how wrong the man may be... sometimes there are things that you just have to swallow. It really just depends.

With all that being said, I'm glad to see there are companies here that know how to treat their customers.

Warranty or not, new install or 20 year old pos, I'm just the guy on call. I don't have the authority to give away money that is not mine. So that being said, all customers will pay for normal overtime charges. When Monday comes around and either the service mgr or owner will make the call on warranty. Checks will be returned and credit cards will not be ran if its a no charge. Most people have no problem with that. I just fix the problem and collect for services rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsma View Post
    Warranty or not, new install or 20 year old pos, I'm just the guy on call. I don't have the authority to give away money that is not mine. So that being said, all customers will pay for normal overtime charges. When Monday comes around and either the service mgr or owner will make the call on warranty. Checks will be returned and credit cards will not be ran if its a no charge. Most people have no problem with that. I just fix the problem and collect for services rendered.
    Not a bad idea... takes away the ability of a HO to whine.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I want to add that in 22 years as a service technician, Every company I have worked for has done 24/7 service, warranty or otherwise. I can't count the number of new customers my bosses have gotten, from people who called us, after there installation provider either refused warranty night/weekend service, or didn't even answer the phones. When people are really hot, or really cold especially, they usually will do what needs to be done to get things working. The only difference is they are now my customers, due to the fact that we took care of them, even if they had to pay for the services. This is even more important nowadays do to the use of Angie's list, Yahoo, Yelp, Google, etc. where customers that are not happy can plaster you name all over the web for everyone to see.

That being said, to the O.P. the simple question here is, sir, did the furnace work before you replaced the thermostat (presumably yes), and is the unit now not working after you replaced the thermostat (obviously no). Then sir with all due request, it is apparent that something to do with the replacement of your thermostat, has caused the failure. We would be happy to come out and resolve this for you, but you will have to be charged normal service rates to make the repairs, as your thermostat is not a part of our warranty. Now would you like to get you equipment running today, or would you like to wait until normal business hours when the rates will be less. The point is this should never have even been about whether you do or don't provide Sunday warranty service, that shouldn't have even been a part of this particular conversation.

Explained this way, with a pleasant, cheery but apologetic tone, will go a long way.
    Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'm a Toolaholic!

I think any HVAC company MUST offer 24 hour emergency service. I went on one 3 weeks ago on a Saturday, a Payne 90% under warranty with a bad pressure switch. Obviously I couldn't get the warranty part until the next business day, but I did have a universal switch that got them heat until the warranty part came in. All said and done I was a hero to them.

We have 24 hour service. Replacement and maintenance customers get warranty service after hours. New construction warranty issues pay diagnostic fee after hours, and repair is warranty.

Usually though, if new construction issue was due to installation, diagnostic fee is refunded.

we do warranty after hours although the boss would xpect me to collect on a call like this as it would not be a warranty issue
    We really need change now

If you want a successful HVAC bussiness its important to provide customers,especially warranty custmers(they've bought equipment through you) around the clock service because if you dont do it somebody else will. keeping those custmers happy is also vital for the employee because if you loose custmers there is also less work for service techs and installers to do which in turn cuts into their pay.

I've had the same call before. The guy just wanted a diff t-stat and ended up blowing the fuse and wanted me to come out after hours with no charge. I explained to him that I couldn't warranty something like that when he messed with the system. Idk why he would want a diff t-stat it was a Honeywell th8320. Customers are crazy sometimes....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast