Thread: Filter Cabinet

Filter Cabinet

My old furnace just has a modified slot for a 1" filter. On newly installed systems what is the filter holder now ?
    Is it part of the return----just sort of hacked in to accept filters
    or
    Is it better to have a filter cabinet ? Best method or preferences ?

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Filter cabinet/rack is better.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by mixer440 View Post
    My old furnace just has a modified slot for a 1" filter. On newly installed systems what is the filter holder now ?
    Is it part of the return----just sort of hacked in to accept filters
    or
    Is it better to have a filter cabinet ? Best method or preferences ?

It depends on your installer. Is a filter cabinet in the bid / proposal?

I always like to see a 4" or 5" filter used in most installs. I use 5" Airbear.

1" filters tend to be too restrictive/
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-13-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Quote Originally Posted by superheatsleuth View Post

It depends on your installer. Is a filter cabinet in the bid / proposal?

I always like to see a 4" or 5" filter used in most installs. I use 5" Airbear.

1" filters tend to be too restrictive/
    I do the same thing on most installs. I talk with the customer and we usually end up installing a 5" filter to better filter the air but we all have to be carefully and ensure the proper amount of return is right for the system and that the 5" filter want be to restrive and cause problems.

I like the airbear filters. Good reliable filter that does not cost customer a arm and leg to replace. At the very least I like to also install a filter base that can hold a 1"-2" filter. It makes it easier for the customer and me to change out monthly. I found the easier that you make something the more often it will get changed. Who wants to pull the door off a furnace as example to change the filter out? Plus you need a filter rack to hold the filter in place if not when the unit comes on it will suck the filter up And not truly work at removing derbies that the filter is suppose to catch.

While a standard return air grill in a door or under the front of the unit works real and easy to change in a hvac heater closet. I have found that on older homes that even though the return air (under the unit) appers to be sealed only to have it be leaking due to small areas in the closet not being sealed probley. Installing a 5"
    Media filter at the unit and or a filter base will ensure the air is filtered at the furnace or air handler before getting into the blower or coil.

another vote for media filters.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

I got you on the Media Filters. Mine will probably be a 4". So a 4" media filter then slides into a filter cabinet.

Curious: On a new installed system, are those filter cabinets a separate box that is placed in the return at the furnace ?
    Are some of these filter cabinets better than others or do they all basically do the job?
    Pictures/Links?

My old one is just a slot cut into the existing return sheet metal with some rails to accept the filter ? Here's my current config:

Name:  P1020259.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  38.1 KB

I got you on the Media Filters. Mine will probably be a 4". So a 4" media filter then slides into a filter cabinet.

Curious: On a new installed system, are those filter cabinets a separate box that is placed in the return at the furnace ?
    Are some of these filter cabinets better than others or do they all basically do the job?
    Pictures/Links?

My old one is just a slot cut into the existing return sheet metal with some rails to accept the filter ? Here's my current config:

That is pretty good compared to a lot I see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Pictures/Links?

To answer your question yes they are a separate box. With a 4"-5" filter and or with 1"-2" filter base both would have a filter boxs that are separate from the furnace. Both should be able to fit right under your furnace and match the width and depth of your unit. It should be connected to your furnace and sealed but still will have its on box.

Depending on what size you go with will be your height of any filter box. From the pic you posted should be a easy install with new furnace. Any reason you are only looking at a 4" filter compaired to 5"? There are many diffrent brands of filters and boxes. I don't know that 1 is better then another as long as they match up with your furnace and are sealed up.

I like the air bears as other have mentioned as well. They are a good priced filter cabinet and offer diffrent options for filter merv levels. Also they are better priced in my opion for replacment filters. Most manfactors have their own version of a 5" media filter that will fit their equipment. In my case Trane has what is called the perfect fit filter. While I like the way it matchs the color of some Trane furnaces, I found that homeowners don't care that much about filter boxes color as they are not seen all the time. Plus while the perfit fit is just like any other 5" filter they tend to be more expensive then a air bear.

like either one of these. Not only do these clean the air, by doing so, it also keeps your IFC (Integrated Fan Control---open circuit board) dust free and keeps your evaporator coil clean.

The dirtier these items get, the less efficient they become and the sooner they will fail.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous