Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I had an interesting day today...

I'm more of a residential guy but today I got a call from my service manager telling me I was going to our local Trane dealer to work on a unit. Kind of surprised me, I assume their tech support would be able to handle it, but okay, I don't mind commercial as long as I'm not troubleshooting DC boards. Other than that everything is in your face and you're on a clean roof breathing fresh air. So I get there, go to the parts department, and say "I'm here to work on one of your units? I assume it'll be a Trane unit up there," with a puzzled look on my face. The two guys in the parts department started laughing and said "Ooooh *let's just say Fred* did manage to pawn that off. Talk to Fred and he'll tell you what's what. So I get to his office, and he gives me an inducer motor assembly and says "Here you go, there are two RTUs up there, it's for the larger one." Now I know Fred outside of work, so I asked him why he isn't doing it. He responded that he doesn't come to work dressed to work on units and, "But I diagnosed it." We both chuckled so I went up there. Older Trane Voyager unit, replaced the assembly no problems. The economizer was disconnected, however. I inform Fred of this and he says "Yeah I know. I took disconnected it years ago for a economizer training and haven't gotten around to putting it back together."

I was just wondering how many other guys out there have had the "privilege," bragging rights, whatever, of working on a unit for a supplier?

Was it the combustion blower motor that you speak of ?

Yeah it was. Break the union, take out a whole four nuts, take the whole assembly and gas valve off, take out the six screws for the plate to separate it from the assembly, put the new assembly onto the plate (with new gasket, of course), put everything back together. Hardest part was taking the box that had that big thing up on the roof.

Was the bad one running continually ?

I replaced a liquid line service valve that a landscaper destroyed at goodman...twice. Then they fired their landscaper.

Power to the unit was off when I got there, so I don't know. Didn't even troubleshoot it, I took his word for it because he used to be tech support for NorCal. I don't think it was running continually, because when I took it out, it was hard to spin. Not stuck, but definitely on it's way.

Yeah.. bearings wore from running continuous. He probably replaces it every other year.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Quote Originally Posted by Strkout499 View Post
    I was just wondering how many other guys out there have had the "privilege," bragging rights, whatever, of working on a unit for a supplier?
    how about doing work for the relatives of the owners of three different competitors.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Ya well what is the full model of that unit and btu. Trane has had some bulletins out on that if post and its right I can email u info

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk please excuse typographical errors
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

I don't remember the M#, I'd have to look at my service tag. It was 120kBTU though.

I don't remember the M#, I'd have to look at my service tag. It was 120kBTU though.
    i tryed to send you a a pm message nut you got them off. I know you said it was a 120k but you sure its not 150k?

Was that trane rooftop you had a YC*150, 151, 180, 181, 210, 211, 240, 241, 300, 301

and a serial number range of 701XXXXXX -- 10385XXXXX
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

I'm more of a residential guy but today I got a call from my service manager telling me I was going to our local Trane dealer to work on a unit. Kind of surprised me, I assume their tech support would be able to handle it, but okay, I don't mind commercial as long as I'm not troubleshooting DC boards. Other than that everything is in your face and you're on a clean roof breathing fresh air. So I get there, go to the parts department, and say "I'm here to work on one of your units? I assume it'll be a Trane unit up there," with a puzzled look on my face. The two guys in the parts department started laughing and said "Ooooh *let's just say Fred* did manage to pawn that off. Talk to Fred and he'll tell you what's what. So I get to his office, and he gives me an inducer motor assembly and says "Here you go, there are two RTUs up there, it's for the larger one." Now I know Fred outside of work, so I asked him why he isn't doing it. He responded that he doesn't come to work dressed to work on units and, "But I diagnosed it." We both chuckled so I went up there. Older Trane Voyager unit, replaced the assembly no problems. The economizer was disconnected, however. I inform Fred of this and he says "Yeah I know. I took disconnected it years ago for a economizer training and haven't gotten around to putting it back together."

Went in for filters a couple of years ago at a supply house. Was asked if I time to look at there ac unit. Compressor was drawing LRA, crossed it with a copeland they has in stock and replaced it. Ever since then we have been doing there work...

We do the PM and all service work on our local Trane supply house. They have 8 split heat pumps. Apparently Trane's commercial services bid on the PM was too expensive.

Last service call: No cool. I arrive and talk to the counter guy (whom I worked with before) and he tells me it's the condensate pump. I walk around the corner and he already had the ladder set up and the old one disconnected. I bought a new pump from them, marked it up, then installed it. Easy.

I then asked the counter guy why he didn't just go ahead and fix it? He said that Trane thinks their time is more valuable spent on helping customer than working on their on own equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast