Confused Received 35 day warning tag when meter changed by gas company - gas to be shut off

I need to understand this warning tag. Background is my gas meter was replaced the other day because of some new government regulations. I was told that the "street elbows are not allowed in the supply line according to code 6.14.7" that the current ones are illegal. My gas water heater that I rent from the gas company was replaced 1 1/2 years ago and the existing meter was replaced and moved outside back in the early 2000s and I want to know why the elbows wouldn't have been replaced at that time. The way I think it seems to me that they installed both the first new meter and the new water heater using an illegal supply line and therefore I should not have to pay for the work. I may be totally wrong there. The supply line is above my drywalled ceiling in the basement and the drywall has to be removed so they have access to the elbows or I will also be charged money for them to cut a hole in the ceiling as well as parts and labour for the replacement of the elbows.

For reference purposes, the meter is on the outside wall of the house and there is a supply line running in two directions from the meter. The first supply line runs along the outside wall to my gas pool heater and the second supply line runs through the wall of the house directly across the ceiling to the furnace where the supply line splits and one side goes to the furnace and the other supply line goes to the gas water heater.

I have a couple of questions
    1. does anyone know when the law changed, making the old elbows illegal
    2. I was originally told by the gas company who changed the meter the other day that the supply line affected was in the line that runs between the furnace and the water heater.Today I am told by the guys who came to give me a quote that the street elbows are in the main supply line between the meter and the furnace above the ceiling. I do not know if they looked outside and saw the pool heater out there. So
    3. how many "street elbows" would there be? would it be everywhere along the supply line that an elbow
    occurs or is there just one "street elbow"

I am sorry but I haven't a clue about gas lines and that's why I'm asking.
    Thanks for anyone who can explain this to me.

Gas company did the piping work? Normally the HO is reponsible to all piping exiting the meter, unless you have a specific rental/lease agreement for an appliance.

They do things differently north of the border.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

We used to have rented/leased water heaters in my town... about 30 years ago. We also used to have low pressure coal gas with a coal gasification plant. I have the orginal entirely seperate abandoned gas line going into my house. Its' a huge 2" line. Used to have an oil tank too. That must have been cheaper than natural gas at one time. Folks couldn't decide what fuel to use here.

Quote Originally Posted by dbg305 View Post
    I need to understand this warning tag. Background is my gas meter was replaced the other day because of some new government regulations. I was told that the "street elbows are not allowed in the supply line according to code 6.14.7" that the current ones are illegal. My gas water heater that I rent from the gas company was replaced 1 1/2 years ago and the existing meter was replaced and moved outside back in the early 2000s and I want to know why the elbows wouldn't have been replaced at that time. The way I think it seems to me that they installed both the first new meter and the new water heater using an illegal supply line and therefore I should not have to pay for the work. I may be totally wrong there. The supply line is above my drywalled ceiling in the basement and the drywall has to be removed so they have access to the elbows or I will also be charged money for them to cut a hole in the ceiling as well as parts and labour for the replacement of the elbows.

For reference purposes, the meter is on the outside wall of the house and there is a supply line running in two directions from the meter. The first supply line runs along the outside wall to my gas pool heater and the second supply line runs through the wall of the house directly across the ceiling to the furnace where the supply line splits and one side goes to the furnace and the other supply line goes to the gas water heater.

I have a couple of questions
    1. does anyone know when the law changed, making the old elbows illegal
    2. I was originally told by the gas company who changed the meter the other day that the supply line affected was in the line that runs between the furnace and the water heater.Today I am told by the guys who came to give me a quote that the street elbows are in the main supply line between the meter and the furnace above the ceiling. I do not know if they looked outside and saw the pool heater out there. So
    3. how many "street elbows" would there be? would it be everywhere along the supply line that an elbow
    occurs or is there just one "street elbow"

I am sorry but I haven't a clue about gas lines and that's why I'm asking.
    Thanks for anyone who can explain this to me.
    Street elbows have been illegal in Canada for as long as anyone I work with can remember, so probably the 1960s.
    The gas company would not have been responsible for your gas line in the house when they did the meter move.
    The company that changed the water heater is also not technically responsible because they didn't touch it presumably, when the tank was changed. The only way you could pin this on them is if the water heater branch piping had street elbows.
    Although they are supposed to check for and correct any code deficiencies when performing work, they won't, and even if they did, you'd have had to pay for it.
    Now here's the kicker, not only do those street elbows have to be replaced, your gas line has to be re-tested under pressure as a whole system from the meter to the appliance branch lines.
    15 psi for 15 mins, and the journeyman gas fitter doing the test has to leave a tag with his ticket # and company info.

Unfortunately, this is your problem boss.

You will have to pay to have it fixed.

Thanks for the responses from you guys in the US and for the detailed explanation by syndicated for info for Canada ... I really appreciate it. I now know that it is definitely something I have to pay for, and won't bother going after the guys who did the other work. The company that is doing the work is the company that rents me the water heater. I asked my own subcontractor but they said because it involved the water heater, they didn't want to touch it. BUT today I was told that it is in the gas supply line apparently between the meter and the furnace before it branches off to the water heater. I may call them back on Monday to see if they are willing to do the job because I trust them more than the one that was here today (Direct Energy) and is due back on Wednesday. The bills from Direct Energy tend to be a lot higher than from the company I use to service my furnace and a/c

If you would answer one question about the "street elbow" is there only one of them? or is every elbow in the gas supply line a "street elbow"? or would there be a "street elbow" for each gas appliance that the supply line is hooked up to? Thanks

Thanks for the responses from you guys in the US and for the detailed explanation by syndicated for info for Canada ... I really appreciate it. I now know that it is definitely something I have to pay for, and won't bother going after the guys who did the other work. The company that is doing the work is the company that rents me the water heater. I asked my own subcontractor but they said because it involved the water heater, they didn't want to touch it. BUT today I was told that it is in the gas supply line apparently between the meter and the furnace before it branches off to the water heater. I may call them back on Monday to see if they are willing to do the job because I trust them more than the one that was here today (Direct Energy) and is due back on Wednesday. The bills from Direct Energy tend to be a lot higher than from the company I use to service my furnace and a/c

If you would answer one question about the "street elbow" is there only one of them? or is every elbow in the gas supply line a "street elbow"? or would there be a "street elbow" for each gas appliance that the supply line is hooked up to? Thanks
    There may be one or more. A street elbow is a 90 degree fitting that has female threads on one side and male on the other. They are usually only used where space constraints deem it necessary or make it easier. A regular elbow which is acceptable has female threads on both sides so in order to make the same turn it would take more space because you would have to add a nipple (length of pipe) to make it like a street ell.

thanks so much jtrammel for your response, I guess we will have to wait and see when they get here on Wednesday because I don't think they looked at the gas supply pipe outside to the gas pool heater and there may also be one there because it is fairly cramped. But if the street elbows haven;t been used here in Canada since the 1960's, I know the pool heater was installed in 1997 and the gas supply was installed at the same time, so maybe there are no street elbows in that line. again thanks for the explanation

thanks so much jtrammel for your response, I guess we will have to wait and see when they get here on Wednesday because I don't think they looked at the gas supply pipe outside to the gas pool heater and there may also be one there because it is fairly cramped. But if the street elbows haven;t been used here in Canada since the 1960's, I know the pool heater was installed in 1997 and the gas supply was installed at the same time, so maybe there are no street elbows in that line. again thanks for the explanation
    Lol, no one said they haven't been "used" since the 60s. Just that they've been illegal to use on gas lines since the 60s. They're still quite legal to use on boiler water piping.