Confused How to optimally wire tcont900a thermostat, XC95m and XL16i AC together?

Hi,
    PLEASE HELP ON HOW TO OPTIMALLY WIRE MY NEW ADDED XL16I 4ton COOLING AC COMPRESSOR TO THE XC95m FURNACE (5ton) AND TO MY TCONT900A THERMOSTAT, SUCH AS THE 2 STAGES ON XL16I WILL BOTH WORK FINE. I HAVE NOW THE FEELING THE AC UNIT WORKS ALL TIME FULL SPEED, BLOWER WORKS STRONG LIKE WHEN HEATING IN HARDEST WINTER, PROBABLY SECOND STAGE KICKS IN. BLOWER NEVER CHANGES FLOW STREAM NO MATTER HOW LONG IT WORKS AND THE TEMP DIFF TO ACHIEVE. THEN STOPS WHEN REACHES TARGET, WILL THEN START WITH SAME HIGH INTENSITY. I WAS EXPECTING ALL TO BE SMOOTHER, KICK FIRST STAGE WITH LOWER BLOWER POWER AND THEN IF NEEDED AFTER A WHILE KICKS IN 2ND STAGE, STRONG. NOW THE CONNECTIONS ARE: 1) TCONT900A TO FURNACE: D TO D, BLUE TO B, RED TO R 2) FURNACE TO XL16I: Y1 TO YELLOW, Y2 TO BROWN, B TO BLUE. THERMOSTAT IS SET FOR COOLING NBR OF STAGES = 2 AND COOLING 1-ST STAGE = 75%. BUT I NEVER SEEN A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2 STAGES, I DON'T THINK I GET THE MOST FROM THE INVESTMENT. I COULD NOT FIND A CLEAR WIRING DIAGRAM, MANUAL FOR CONNFORTLINK II (TCONT900A) ONLY SPECIFIES CONNECTION TO INTERNAL COMMUNICATING FURNACE (OK UP TO HERE) AND A SINGLE-STAGE (!!) NON_COMMUNICATING COOLING DEVICE. SINCE I DIDN'T KNOW ENOUGH AS TO PROBABLY BUY THE XL20i, NEED TO MAKE THIS WORK FINE. THANK YOU!

That thermostat and furnace combo can't directly control an XL16i properly.

I haven't seen it yet, but there is supposed to be a relay pack available for use with the XL16i on a communicating system.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

You'd think that after what, 10 years, Trane might do something to solve the XL16i "issues" with pairing it with their furnaces and communicating equipment. I remember wiring up a couple relays to make dehumidify on demand at least sort-of work. I forced the unit into 2nd stage but left it on low airflow when humidty was high. It helped, but ultimately it was oversized and used almsot the same amount of power as the mismatched but properly sized 15 y/o 8 SEER unit it replaced.

Probably jsut as well off using a Honeywell Visionpro IAQ or Prestige thermostat.

If the blower speed is 75% you probably won't tell a difference in blower speed from 1st to 2nd stage, and you really can't tell a difference in sound on the outside unit.

While I've sold several of the 16i heat pumps not A/Cs, I have never been sold on the 2 step scroll technology. I don't see where the drop in capacity is enough to warrant the cost. I have sold a lot of the 19 & 20i units with the 50% low speed 100% high speed as now you have a noticeable change in operation, one you can hear and feel.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    That thermostat and furnace combo can't directly control an XL16i properly.

I haven't seen it yet, but there is supposed to be a relay pack available for use with the XL16i on a communicating system.
    I've put in 2 of them, they work well. They have a fully functional BK terminal.

Thank you all for answering so promptly! I will try to organize my acknowledgment on this. (1) Based on component modules, described wiring and observed symptom, do we know exactly what the existing system cannot accomplish? Is it that it runs only in 2-nd stage, only in 1-st stage or else? (2) I understand remedy exists in the form of: (2.a) a relay pack that makes xl16i work well in a communicating system (mark beiser, chuckcrj, motoguy128), I will request it from installer (2.b) use a better fit (downgrade to non-communicating?) thermostat of type Honeywell Visionpro IAQ or Prestige thermostat (motoguy128) (3) please advise if going for a full communicating system and replacing xl16i with a xl20i (only one avail from Trane I think) could be considered instead patching (many good hundred $ more probably). But then I understand I will have a clearly 50/100 (2 scroll compressors?) working 15-20 mins in 1-st stage 1 (way lower air flow that I have now) and only jumping to 2-nd stage if can't keep pace with warmth. Also please indicate if such fully communicating system will permit to adjust the pace (strokes / min or power) of AC to other than 50/100 (somewhat degrading seer). Or even considering a smaller unit like 3.5 ton XL20i. Uh, really abusing your time but ignorance is unbearable. Trane does not have a Cust Support line to answer these questions and manuals I got are just brief specs.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-15-2013 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Quote Originally Posted by macgiver View Post
    The communicating furnaces have only a 3 min of enhance cooling unlike the xv units, I say install the Prestige with the EIM contols
    This is not true, they slow the fan to dehumidify as long as needed and have several other options not available on prestige.