Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is this costing me a FORTUNE?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Structural brick often has 4 courses with a gap between the pairs. I think that gives you an r value of about 5. The interior course becomes interior thermal mass and peak temps have less effect so so the heat pump runs less in the coldest temps... and better wont need heat strips as much.

Throw plaster or drywall on framing, and without any insuation you have another maybe r3.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks, moto. My 1950s brick house is 2X4 stick built with a brick veneer and has plaster over actual sheet rock and a tar paper vapor barrier. This is standard fare for 1950s construction in my area.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    What thermostat does he have. I still say that heat pack is coming on way more than need be. Maybe the heat pack is not staged and is entirely too large.
    It's a Honeywell Vision Pro 1028 stat. According to the OP, the auxilliary light has not been turning on as much since what ever wiring issue was corrected. But with the ducting issues, I suspect the heat pump is shutting down on high pressure, causing the strip heaters to operate more than they should.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    I have a 1929, 2200sq ft plaster house. Clapboard siding, covered with white aluminum siding. No insulation. My electric bill with a 4-Ton trane heat pump is under 250 in the winter months. So, the OP has a wiring or an HVAC installation issue IMO. Duct leaks, heat pack wired with wrong terminal, not charged correctly.......something.........it's just not insulation.

We posted almost at the same time RoBo!
    Always here

Post Likes
    1028? Sounds like the last 4 digits of the stat, now the model line numbers.

Post Likes
    Those numbers maybe the "FocusPro" not VisionPro? 6000?
    Always here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    1028? Sounds like the last 4 digits of the stat, now the model line numbers.
    Picky...picky....

TH6220D1028 Focus Pro 6000
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Those numbers maybe the "FocusPro" not VisionPro? 6000?
    You are correct. My bad....I am now flogging myself with 20 lashes to atone for my sins...
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Thanks, moto. My 1950s brick house is 2X4 stick built with a brick veneer and has plaster over actual sheet rock and a tar paper vapor barrier. This is standard fare for 1950s construction in my area.
    I have the same type of home.

Dropped the cash to have USA Insulation foam the walls and add a pile in the attic.

What a DIFFERENCE!!!

My propane bill has almost halved. My furnace is probably quite oversized, now, but I'll remedy that when I finally decide to replace it.

Post Likes
    You are correct. My bad....I am now flogging myself with 20 lashes to atone for my sins...
    Well of all people to post just the last 4 digits of a model number. You should make it 49 lashes. LOL

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I have the same type of home.

Dropped the cash to have USA Insulation foam the walls and add a pile in the attic.

What a DIFFERENCE!!!

My propane bill has almost halved. My furnace is probably quite oversized, now, but I'll remedy that when I finally decide to replace it.
    I'll put it on the list, but my heating/cooling bills are not really that bad.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Well of all people to post just the last 4 digits of a model number. You should make it 49 lashes. LOL
    The last four digits are all we refer to on the distribution side. But if you insist, I'll go ahead and do the other 29 lashes.....did I happen to mention I like being whipped?
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    The last four digits are all we refer to on the distribution side. But if you insist, I'll go ahead and do the other 29 lashes.....did I happen to mention I like being whipped?
    No, and you didn't need to give us that info either. LOL

Post Likes
    No, and you didn't need to give us that info either. LOL
    The pleasure was all mine

That reminds me; What did the sadist say when the masochist said; "beat me, hit me, treat me like the bad dog that I am!"?

The sadist replied; No.......think about it....
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    The pleasure was all mine

That reminds me; What did the sadist say when the masochist said; "beat me, hit me, treat me like the bad dog that I am!"?

The sadist replied; No.......think about it....
    ROFL.

Post Likes
    I have a 1929, 2200sq ft plaster house. Clapboard siding, covered with white aluminum siding. No insulation. My electric bill with a 4-Ton trane heat pump is under 250 in the winter months. So, the OP has a wiring or an HVAC installation issue IMO. Duct leaks, heat pack wired with wrong terminal, not charged correctly.......something.........it's just not insulation.

We posted almost at the same time RoBo!
    Really? 4 tons on 2200 sq ft and NO insulation..not even in the attic?
    do you blower door test your house, ducts & do the air/duct sealing?

Nice job Robotech. glad you are in OP's area.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Zip...zero......
    Always here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    Really? 4 tons on 2200 sq ft and NO insulation..not even in the attic?
    do you blower door test your house, ducts & do the air/duct sealing?

Nice job Robotech. glad you are in OP's area.
    I just wish I could do more without creating a conflict of interest for myself. I will work with any contractor who is willing to let me work with them, and I absolutely hate seeing HVAC systems not doing the job they were intended to do because of a lack of understanding about air, refrigerant and sizing parameters.

Unfortunately, the OP is the one who is having to bear the brunt of the additional energy costs and most likely what it will take to correct the situation. That's just not fair and should not be happening because of a lack of knowledge in the HVAC industry.
    Training is important!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in