+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee pads

Post Likes

Knee pads

Ok so I know some jokes will be coming buy I'm in need of knee pads. I'm doing 95% commercial refrigeration and am getting what my doctor calls a second knee cap. It's excruciating. Does anybody have some recomendations. Please help!!!! Does anybody have any other ideas? I considered a pad like a gel mat that I would bring to each call and set down to work on.

Post Likes
    Gel knee pads with sturdy straps...Depot or Sears. Extra velcro on hand when the straps start to go. I seldom pick up my tools without first putting on my knee pads.

There is no shame - just avoid turning to face male customers or coworkers while on your knees...or say things like "I'm happy today because I have my gel knee pads on."

Or whistle show tunes...

Post Likes
    You can get the ones built in but it sounds like its too late

http://www.blaklader.com/us/
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    Ok so I know some jokes will be coming buy I'm in need of knee pads. I'm doing 95% commercial refrigeration and am getting what my doctor calls a second knee cap. It's excruciating. Does anybody have some recomendations. Please help!!!! Does anybody have any other ideas? I considered a pad like a gel mat that I would bring to each call and set down to work on.
    I have a pair of cow hide leather pads lined in a double layer of "horse blanket" material. They are over 15 years old (Uncle gave them to me a few years back).

I have tried velcro straps but they stretch out in a very short time. Y leather pads have buckled straps to hold them to my legs. They stand up to anything I have kneeled on so far.

The plastic pads I had cracked in a short time after the the velcro stretched out.

Sears is where Uncle bought them several years ago.
    Hope this helps.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    http://www.johnstonesupply.com/store...ep?pID=W89-883

Buy 2.

You can kneel on them, lay on them, and use on a milk crate or bucket to sit on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 76olds View Post

Buy 2.

You can kneel on them, lay on them, and use on a milk crate or bucket to sit on.
    You can try but I wouldnt bother with mats made by anyone else.
    I used some cheap ones for years but nothing has been as comfortable or has held up as long as that one (Mine's branded by Kuny's)

I also wear 5.11 Tac-lite Pro pants that have a knee pad pocket on the inside. I've actually stuffed two of their thin neoprene pads in each leg and you can still hardly tell they are there. The best part is they never slip and there's no strap to irritate the back of your leg.

Post Likes
    http://www.fluidforms.com/patella_t/...nal/index.html

Take a look at these, there pricey but well worth it.

Post Likes
    I use these.When I actually use kneepads

Post Likes
    Use a Boat Cushion/Life Preserver. They are nice and thick, there are several layers of foam inside them so they will shift taking the tugging pressure off your knees. Never did like the strap on ones, as they always cut my circulation off.

Post Likes
    I'm never comfortable in kneepads. Instead I use a piece of closed cell foam (blue or pink stuff 1 to 2"). It's readily available, comfortable, and inexpensive so you can leave pieces at frequent locations.

Post Likes
    I use those cheap gardening kneeling pads. Or a piece of arma flex wrapped with duct tape.

Post Likes

This is what I have used for the past 20 years

An army surplus wool blanket. Folded into quarters, you can kneel on it all day. When you have to work on a larger area, 1/2 fold will do. And if you want to protect a floor/carpet, open it up fully.

They run about $25- $30 at surplus stores.

Tried knee pads, bu they were always slipping around on me.

The only downside is the occasional joke about taking a nap on the job. Just tell them, "If I had used this 30 years ago, I wouldn't need it today".
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    Here's my recommendation, for what its worth... Not much probably.

I've been using knee pads since I was about 14 (now I'm 44) years old working for a carpet laying company (neighbor). Find something that is comfortable on your knee caps. glue or velcro extra padding if you feel it is necessary, I usually put in a couple of rags under the knee side of the pad.

Here's the most important part, don't use the top straps to secure the pads to your knees. The lower straps above or near the tops of the calves will keep them in place just fine. Using the top straps will just bind up and cut off circulation to the bottom of your leg, making your job more of a pain than it already is. Good luck with those knees.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 76olds View Post

Buy 2.

X2

I have two of these on my truck. Why fuss with uncomfortable pads you wear?

I carry one of these mats with me on almost every call. Grab it with the same hand as my Veto XL.

Along with saving knees on tile floor, it keeps you dry on wet or dirty floor, you can lay on it, etc.

Post Likes
    Mascot leidra Pants with built-in knee pad pockets. The best work pants hands down.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=501477

Geltek 40655

8 years ago out to the blue I came up with psoriasis, the first outbreak was the worst and my knees turned into 2 giant scabs. After crawling through attics and through units in plants to get to units I was to the point of crying because anything I hit cut me open and I would start bleeding profusely. My parents actually bought these for me and I can't tell you what a difference it made until my knees healed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    Joey 791, look up "Nightshades and Psoriasis," I've been diagnosed in the past with Lupus, severe arthritis, and had bouts with other problems, with test all coming back negative. Symptoms appearing and disappearing with no reason. Psoriasis, will come on real strong then disappear for long times. A doctor suggested I might have a Nightshade sensitivity, and that's exactly what it is. It's only when I really load up on Nightshade vegetables, also my spring allergies make me more sensitive.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    You can get the ones built in but it sounds like its too late

http://www.blaklader.com/us/
    Those 1630's are looking nice!
    Anyone tried these yet?
    I think the 1600's look a little "too much" for me!
    Ace tools carries them for $90

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in