Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Was told that Weather King is a 'contractor's brand' of Rheem equipment. Was also told that the warranty and nuts and bolts of the machines (except) for exterior appearances, are identical. It is a substantial savings between what were called 'identical systems'.

Does this sound correct? Guy said he would install either but he actually used weather king in his house.

Any guidance and/or info would be appreciated. Guy is recommended, bonded, insured, and referred by a friend.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    WeatherKing furnace cabinets do not have insulation. They also do not come with a metal bottom. The bottom is open. Use HSI instead of spark ignition. They do use the same primary and secondary heat exchanger, same gas valve, same inducer, same blower motor. Actually a good unit.

Post Likes
    so furnace is 'good unit....

can the same be said about the condenser or any other non-furnace parts?

I am really ignorant on this stuff. thanks.

Post Likes
    We've had good luck with WeatherKing.

Besides what's been mentioned, the King furnaces use a simpler board and a 3 speed motor for a little less flexibility on blower speeds. The 90+ upflow is an aluminized heat exchanger where the Rheem would be stainless steel. We've had little failures of ignitors but Rheem will be changing to 100% direct spark in the next year.

Outdoor units are the cube design so not as easy to work on, the heat pumps especially. They use recips to 3 ton, scrolls 3.5 to 5 ton. Slow speed fan motors so they are rather quiet.

If you want to keep the price down, I think it is one of the best low end lines. Otherwise, ask for a price on Rheem too and compare.

Post Likes
    from what i understand weather king does not have 5 year warranty like rheem does,the ruud zephyr series condensing units are the same as weather king.i have pulled the name plate off of a ruud zephyr cond unit and there was a sticker underneath that said weather king.

Post Likes
    We have sold WK for 2-3 years and haven't had any problems other than an ignitor every so often. They have a 5 year parts warranty and 20 year heat exchanger warranty. The condensors are not the easist to work on. I have an 80% in our office. Hard to beat the price.

Post Likes
    The cube units are sold as Rheem Corsaire & Ruud Zephyr as well. Also Rheem will be making them for Heat Controller. The cube is sold as Thermal Zone by URI with a different cabinet.

The furnaces will integrate more with the Rheem line soon. All DSI, all the "Quiet 80" design. Some of the model #s will go away since the same unit is sold as 80PJ10 and RGDJ10 for example.

Post Likes
    As I recall RHEEM purchased Weatherking out of Orlando several years ago. Weatherking was beyond a doubt the best commercial product to ever roll out of a factory... Now RHEEM uses the name plus many others to dual brand their entire product line.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by acefurnacefixer
    Personally I wouldent take a rheem/ruud/weatherking or any other name you want to hide it behind.

Every major brand has a "off" brand, gives you something to bid against the low ballers with.I am a firm beleiver in that you get what you pay for.

[Edited by acefurnacefixer on 12-16-2006 at 08:32 AM]
    Ya, you get what you pay for alright. The question is why buy all that stuff you don't need? Wheather King gives you everything you need. It has always been a good performer me.
    IcyFlame

Post Likes
    I personally would avoid anything labeled as a 'contractor's brand' or "builders grade" (I think they ae the same).

Post Likes
    How does WeatherKing compare to ComfortMaker. I know all three or made by Rheem. I was told that Comfortmaker was better that WeatherKing.

Post Likes
    Comfortmaker is owned by ICP which is owned by United Technologies, owner of Carrier. Confused yet? No relation to Rheem.

As we said above, all brands have builder and deluxe. ICP's builder models (A/Cs) are much cheaper built than WeatherKing. Their premium line has all the bells & whistles and compete with Rheem's premium. So personally if looking budget, stay with Kings. If you want premium, look at either Rheem or Comfortmaker premium.

Builder ICP

Kings

Post Likes
    I have not been impressed with the Rheem units (any type). I do not like their equipment. I will not sell them to my customers. They may be cheaper upfront but the repairs/service calls will get you in the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast