Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tracer Summit Work Station won't communicate with Trane BCU

I manage a small hospital which uses a TRane Tracer Summit BAS, v. 15. The 10 year old workstation used to communicate with the BCU has crashed, but its hard drive is still good. So I have put the hard drive into another CPU and even though Tracer Summit software opens properly, I can't get the BCU and the WS to talk to each other. I would swap out the network card from the old computer too except that unfortunately it is integral to the motherboard. I have gone into Site Configuration and done the simple few steps that are supposed to enable communication as per the owners manual, but still no talky-talky. Is there some trick to getting the two to talk? Is it necessary to connect directly into the BCU in order to register the new work station?

What operating system is the new PC.

Have you made sure it is set to assign IP automatically, assuming this is set up ethernet?

Good point.... Do you remember from the old PC if the connection was Ethernet or BACnet IP?

The OS is still Win XP because I am using the hard drive from the old work station. I think it was set up as ethernet, but I am not certain. I have tried setting the ip config to automatic and also to the same static ip the old computer was set to. Neither one works.

Is the XP operating system recognizing the network card in the new computer? Have you changed the driver for the network card to one for the new computer? Is the network card in Summit set to look at the correct network card?

Kevin
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

When I go into Site Configuration/Communication in Tracer Summit, I see the name of the network adapter which is in the new computer so I think the driver is correct. Also, if I connect the new computer to our hospital network (instead of the dedicated connection to the BCU) the computer will go on the internet, so the network adapter is working properly. When I plug the cat5 cable back into the BCU connection, the work station says the cable is unplugged.

How do I determine what the network card in the BCU is set to. At present I don't have a way to connect directly to the BCU. Do I need a laptap with a serial port and a special program?

Go to the Site Configuration and see if you can Post this...
    [IMG]H:\Capture.png[/IMG]
    Then go through the Configure Wizard... hit the Configure Button and see if it matches...

[IMG]H:\Capture.png[/IMG]

What I have access to is the "Site Configuration" inside the Tracer Summit software. I don't think there is any place to "post" a command. Is that a telnet command?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Pressman View Post
    When I go into Site Configuration/Communication in Tracer Summit, I see the name of the network adapter which is in the new computer so I think the driver is correct. Also, if I connect the new computer to our hospital network (instead of the dedicated connection to the BCU) the computer will go on the internet, so the network adapter is working properly. When I plug the cat5 cable back into the BCU connection, the work station says the cable is unplugged.

How do I determine what the network card in the BCU is set to. At present I don't have a way to connect directly to the BCU. Do I need a laptap with a serial port and a special program?
    Are you using a crossover cable? you need a crossover cable for the computer to bcu connection.

#1Servicetech, that was a really good suggestion since the WS was saying a cable was unplugged. So I plugged the two RJ-45 plugs into a 4-port ethernet switch (same as using a crossover cable) and now the WS says it is connected. That really got my hopes up, but alas, BCU is still not communicating. Packets detail shows packets being sent to the BCU, but not coming back. Any other ideas?

Did you determine if you are supposed to be connecting as BACnet IP, or Ethernet?

Carrier1, that is a good question. However, I don't know how to answer it since I don't have direct access to the BCU. I have tried configuring the site both ways, but still can't get the BCU to talk to the work station even though the work station network connection status shows the two devices as being connected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast