+ Reply to Thread

Thread: compression ratio

Post Likes

compression ratio

For my 19DK chiller: to find compression ratio of this system which operates in a vacuum (R-11), typically 14"hgVAC with 7 psig head, can I use this formula: comp ratio=head pressure +14.7 divided by suction pressure + 14.7?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tpodany88 View Post
    For my 19DK chiller: to find compression ratio of this system which operates in a vacuum (R-11), typically 14"hgVAC with 7 psig head, can I use this formula: comp ratio=head pressure +14.7 divided by suction pressure + 14.7?
    21.7psia/6.9 psia=3.14 compression ratio. If you have digital gauges then just switch to absolute pressure units, such as psia, then you can enter those directly in the equation. Compression ratio is the ratio of absolute pressures. HTH.

Post Likes
    You first have to convert inches of mercury to PSIG by multiplying by .491. Then, you can add 14.7 to both discharge and suction to obtain PSIA for both. Divide suction into discharge and you have your compression ratio.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    21.7psia/6.9 psia=3.14 compression ratio. If you have digital gauges then just switch to absolute pressure units, such as psia, then you can enter those directly in the equation. Compression ratio is the ratio of absolute pressures. HTH.
    Sorry, I forgot to subtract my converted low side pressure from the atmospheric pressure . 14 in hg = 6.9 psi, not 6.9 psia, and is measured relative to 0 psig, not 0 psia. 0 psig in turn is equal to 14.7 psia. So the low side absolute pressure is given by 14.7 psia - 6.9 psi = 7.8 psia.

So the compression ratio was actually 21.7/7.8 = 2.78

Post Likes
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    hu compression ratio on a centrifugal compressor? Thought it had more to do with stroke and volume.Or maybe not but got me thinking

Post Likes
    O Ya its more to do with impeller lift and gas velocity

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in