I have posted a few times on this forum with questions on various topics, so I thought this would be the appropriate place to ask this question.

First let me begin by stating that I am currently a senior in high school who takes a great interest in the field of building engineering. I am currently exploring this field as a possible career opportunity after graduation in May.

I have toured several properties in my area, and have even done an apprenticeship. That being said I am fascinated by the mechanical workings of a building. I take equal interest in the daily variety of service calls undertaken by a crew of building engineers at a property.

Upon researching education requirements for this field, I discovered that many companies require a; "Stationary Engineer's License" before they would even consider hiring someone.

My question for readers of this forum is this: What can someone my age do to familiarize themselves with the basics of stationary engineering? I realize one must be at least 21 before they can even begin to think about taking the test, however I believe that getting a head start in studying would be a good idea.

Does anyone know of any textbooks or websites that would be helpful for someone with my aspirations? What would be the best course of action to further my education in this area after high school?

For additional info about myself: I might add that I have a basic understanding of the mechanical components of a building such as; chillers, air handling units, boilers, etc. Right now I am trying to learn the basics of this field. I would like the make the right decision regarding my education after high school.

Thank you in advance for your time and interest in answering my questions.

Best.