+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do package A/C units have 3 phase compressors and single phase blower/condenser?

Post Likes

Why do package A/C units have 3 phase compressors and single phase blower/condenser?

Why do package A/C units have 3 phase compressors and single phase blower/condenser fan motors?

Post Likes
    Cheaper to build em that way would be my guess on the smaller ones... But most 20 ton and up units have 3 phase condenser fans and evap motors.. Heck even most package units 5 ton and up have 3 phase evap motors.

Post Likes
    I suspect has to do with economy of scale. A factory can produce a million 3/4 horse single phase motors more cheaply per motor than the factory that produces a quarter million3/4 horse three phase motors. So when Trane or Carrier needs a blower motor at a certain hp, the single phase wins sometimes.

Post Likes
    yep....costs.

a 1 hp, 1800 rpm, 1 phase condenser fan motor has an amp draw of 3.2 amps at 460 vac.
    a 1 hp, 1800 rpm, 3 phase condenser fan motor has an amp draw of 1.5 amps at 460 vac.

this isn't much of an efficiency drop but it is a huge drop in costs...small relays instead of contactors, less weight (remember shipping costs money from the manufacturer of the motor to the unit manufacturer and from them to the end user...it gets shipped twice), lighter duty mounting brackets (3 phase motors are a bit torquier than their single phase brothers), etc.

i used a 1 hp motor because it was all i could find data on in both a single phase and a three phase.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Probably cost.

Used to do RTU's do not do them anymore (tired of climbing ladders). Seems Voyagers from around 10T and up, especially 460V, had 3 ph motors... smaller ones did not.

I wonder how long until we see ECM style (X-13) motors start to take over?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I've got a location with some 2 year old 208v trane units that are 5 ton each that use 3 phase cond fan motors with heat sinks clamped around them. They are also direct drive indoor blowers. I think they are 3 phase on ac drives. That could be wrong, but they do have variable speed controls.

I'm right with ya, it's always bugged me, when they have the ability to use a more efficient 3 phase motor why they would put more parts in to fail.

Post Likes
    On some of the Lennox 5ton rooftops they have a two-speed direct drive indoor blower that is single phase, lower speed for heat, high speed for cool (I could be mistaken, don't run into the little rooftops that much). All the larger units are belt drive and have three-phase blowers. The condenser fans are single phase, they are 1/3hp.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CFESAmasterEGSR View Post
    I'm right with ya, it's always bugged me, when they have the ability to use a more efficient 3 phase motor why they would put more parts in to fail.
    You hit the nail on the head. Most of you never heard of a Worthington Unit, it was extremly rare to ever have to replace anything other than filters and belts. I think they put themselves out of business, because they didn't have the replacement parts income.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    Cheaper to build em that way would be my guess on the smaller ones... But most 20 ton and up units have 3 phase condenser fans and evap motors.. Heck even most package units 5 ton and up have 3 phase evap motors.
    agreed.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in