Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    drain lines fine.

I've seen this product before.

I will openly say this:

If you have to use a solvent bond for a refrigerant circuit you are either 2 things. Extremely inexperienced and you should not be in your own van, or your a hack.

Either one, your call.

I've whipped out my turbo torch and thrown fire up in finished walls, brazed in compressors, whatever. I've only been in the trade for 8 years, never had an uncontrolled fire.

I don't have a problem with someone using it for a drain line. Thats just a speed thing for non-pressurized piping, no harm there.
    Yes I have used this product on two different installs where all joints were accessible in case of failure. One is six years old with no leaks. Iknow this because I
    do regular service on the system. The second leaked within a few months so I brazed all joints to avoid future problems. Both customers knew they were guinea pigs.
    As far as inexperienced goes, I installed my first duct system in 1983.
    As for the hack comment, I like to think I am openminded enough to try something new to test for myself. If it fails, I stand behind it and learn from the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by grkmano View Post
    I used this a few times on drain lines worked like a charm.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks grkmano for the confirmation that I'm not the only one to ever try this stuff. BTW I tried it because Johnstone Supply gave me a bottle at their open house party. If some of you may have read my profile, I do have a bachelors degree in chemistry and there is plenty of evidence to support that this product WORKS AS DESIGNED. My post on this wall of shame is because I openly admit that the I used a product that had gotten old and discolored. It was purple instead of red when I applied it. No other failures have ever occurred and it is consistently hotter here in Phoenix than just about anywhere. Of course I have torches, mentioned before, and I use them regularly. So why all the bragging about you have used torches guys? Have you ever tried NEW THINGS? I run into this all the time, old farts that know it all and haven't learned anything since high school. Think before you post, you may not be so smart as you think you are.

Quote Originally Posted by hotntired View Post
    What did you use the flare tool for?
    Used for fitting tubing of the same size together. Pretty handy for this and I can't really think why you would ask unless there's some other usage I'm not aware of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by benatwhodotnet View Post
    Used for fitting tubing of the same size together. Pretty handy for this and I can't really think why you would ask unless there's some other usage I'm not aware of yet.
    My bad, the "flaring" tool is also a "swaging" tool and I was swaging, not flaring.

Im just wondering if you would ever use it again ?

Theres no effing way I would glue any part of refrigeration.... now I have used Solder on suction lines ....

How old are you? I've been doing HVAC repairs for 35 years.
    Then you ought to know better than to use snake oil.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

I dont understand the idea is snake oil unless you disprove it or know enough about chemistry to have a reasonable doubt. I am old school (with an open mind). I am 51 years old. We live in a world with many advancements that sounded impossible years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post

Theres no effing way I would glue any part of refrigeration.... now I have used Solder on suction lines ....
    Solder?? Or stay bright? What refrigerant was the unit using?

Thanks grkmano for the confirmation that I'm not the only one to ever try this stuff. BTW I tried it because Johnstone Supply gave me a bottle at their open house party. If some of you may have read my profile, I do have a bachelors degree in chemistry and there is plenty of evidence to support that this product WORKS AS DESIGNED. My post on this wall of shame is because I openly admit that the I used a product that had gotten old and discolored. It was purple instead of red when I applied it. No other failures have ever occurred and it is consistently hotter here in Phoenix than just about anywhere. Of course I have torches, mentioned before, and I use them regularly. So why all the bragging about you have used torches guys? Have you ever tried NEW THINGS? I run into this all the time, old farts that know it all and haven't learned anything since high school. Think before you post, you may not be so smart as you think you are.
    I only used this on a drain line. And only because I had to finish the install in an occupied space.

Quote Originally Posted by grkmano View Post
    Solder?? Or stay bright? What refrigerant was the unit using?
    Oh I've only done it a couple times in situations where i didnt want to risk burning down a building , reg solder ..... shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

[QUOTE=Snapperhead;14981291]Oh I've only done it a couple times in situations where i didnt want to risk burning down a building , reg solder ..... shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh/QUOTE]

Keep a roll of stay bright in the truck.. Can handle all pressures just use very very light paste.

my old boss used that stuff on a copper to aluminium coil connection. worked great.....that was last year.

there's a time and place for anything. heck, propress fittings were impossible 30 years ago...now they are standard. I like to hear about new things.....sometimes they work, sometimes not.....but if you don't try, you'll never know. pretty much all the technology we use every day was said to be impossible/snake oil at some point or another......

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post

I've used it 3 times total, including the failure. The first two times within a month of acquiring the bottle. I have a photo from 3/27/2010 showing the bottle... even though the purpose of the photo was to document removal of the block fencing that restricted air flow to the unit.

Name:  DSCF1935.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  63.0 KBName:  DSCF1940.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  59.6 KB

Note that the red bottle is visible on the pad. I have not used it since the failure over a year later on 9/6/2011. I prefer 15% silver sticks... always have, just tried something new.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast