+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I dare you, post one of yours!

Post Likes

Frown I dare you, post one of yours!

Ok, so I did this... why? I was replacing B-I-L's compressor in Tucson and thought to myself that I should not heat the check valve on the exit port of the Copeland scroll compressor using my swirl jet torch... After all it was 110F in the shade that day. I didn't bring the oxy/acetylene rig with the number 0 torch tip that does such pinpoint precision brazing. Sooooo, I used the purple stuff in my tool bag to connect the high pressure tubing. Then when I went to Johnstone a couple of days later I noticed that their stuff was RED!!! not PURPLE!!! The stuff in my tool bag was old and it lasted about a week before this photo arrived on my cell phone from upset B-I-L. I hurried back down to Tucson with the right torch kit and some tubing and a flare tool and twelve pounds of R22 and some oil to (fit, braze, leak test, evac, charge) make things right.

Name:  !cid__112.jpg
Views: 2347
Size:  23.1 KB

Post Likes
    what is 'purple stuff'....for that matter, what is 'red stuff'?
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Newbies!

Post Likes
    This stuff, and I've used it with fantastic results on several units that I installed (compressors) in 2009. The problem was with using it in 2010 when it had been in my truck tool bag for about 8 months too long.

Name:  HVAC Super Pro Copper Bond.JPG
Views: 1134
Size:  28.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    what is 'purple stuff'....for that matter, what is 'red stuff'?

Post Likes
    How old are you? I've been doing HVAC repairs for 35 years.

Post Likes
    is this a joke? you seriously use this stuff? im not trying to be a jerk here but i can't imagine using glue to repair a refer circuit. on the other hand if this stuff works i am all ears!
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    Bought some Friday and it is purple straight out of bottle. Do not use on soft copper. I use it for copper drain lines on RTUs. So so results on refrigerant lines probably due to me and not product.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rglasgow View Post
    Bought some Friday and it is purple straight out of bottle. Do not use on soft copper. I use it for copper drain lines on RTUs. So so results on refrigerant lines probably due to me and not product.
    drain lines fine.

I've seen this product before.

I will openly say this:

If you have to use a solvent bond for a refrigerant circuit you are either 2 things. Extremely inexperienced and you should not be in your own van, or your a hack.

Either one, your call.

I've whipped out my turbo torch and thrown fire up in finished walls, brazed in compressors, whatever. I've only been in the trade for 8 years, never had an uncontrolled fire.

I don't have a problem with someone using it for a drain line. Thats just a speed thing for non-pressurized piping, no harm there.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benatwhodotnet View Post
    i have been in the business for over 20 years...i don't use glue. i braze so i didn't know what it was. i have heard of it, but it seemed a little too 'home depot/kindergarten' for me. i know what color it is now...red is new...purple is old. thanks!

i love this line from their website: NOTE: The I. D. of couplings and fittings must be 0.010 inch larger than the O. D. of the tubing being bonded for a proper bond.

i am sure the product works ok on brand new, never-been-used-before type of copper but i wonder how well it works in the field where there is a little bit of oil you don't see or some debris...stuff like that.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    It seems like I remember another thread about this a while back. Stuff was red, joints held for a few months and blew apart.

Post Likes
    doing it that long and still admit to using "purple stuff" on a scroll discharge line????????

i have been at it for over 40 years and would not even think of gluing a discharge line together.

Post Likes
    I used this a few times on drain lines worked like a charm.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I hurried back down to Tucson with the right torch kit and some tubing and a flare toolName:  !cid__112.jpg
Views: 2347
Size:  23.1 KB
    What did you use the flare tool for?
    You can't learn a thing with your mouth open.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    drain lines fine.

I've seen this product before.

I will openly say this:

If you have to use a solvent bond for a refrigerant circuit you are either 2 things. Extremely inexperienced and you should not be in your own van, or your a hack.

Either one, your call.

I've whipped out my turbo torch and thrown fire up in finished walls, brazed in compressors, whatever. I've only been in the trade for 8 years, never had an uncontrolled fire.

I don't have a problem with someone using it for a drain line. Thats just a speed thing for non-pressurized piping, no harm there.
    Yes I have used this product on two different installs where all joints were accessible in case of failure. One is six years old with no leaks. Iknow this because I
    do regular service on the system. The second leaked within a few months so I brazed all joints to avoid future problems. Both customers knew they were guinea pigs.
    As far as inexperienced goes, I installed my first duct system in 1983.
    As for the hack comment, I like to think I am openminded enough to try something new to test for myself. If it fails, I stand behind it and learn from the experience.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by grkmano View Post
    I used this a few times on drain lines worked like a charm.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks grkmano for the confirmation that I'm not the only one to ever try this stuff. BTW I tried it because Johnstone Supply gave me a bottle at their open house party. If some of you may have read my profile, I do have a bachelors degree in chemistry and there is plenty of evidence to support that this product WORKS AS DESIGNED. My post on this wall of shame is because I openly admit that the I used a product that had gotten old and discolored. It was purple instead of red when I applied it. No other failures have ever occurred and it is consistently hotter here in Phoenix than just about anywhere. Of course I have torches, mentioned before, and I use them regularly. So why all the bragging about you have used torches guys? Have you ever tried NEW THINGS? I run into this all the time, old farts that know it all and haven't learned anything since high school. Think before you post, you may not be so smart as you think you are.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hotntired View Post
    What did you use the flare tool for?
    Used for fitting tubing of the same size together. Pretty handy for this and I can't really think why you would ask unless there's some other usage I'm not aware of yet.

Post Likes
    Used for fitting tubing of the same size together. Pretty handy for this and I can't really think why you would ask unless there's some other usage I'm not aware of yet.
    My bad, the "flaring" tool is also a "swaging" tool and I was swaging, not flaring.

Post Likes
    Im just wondering if you would ever use it again ?

Theres no effing way I would glue any part of refrigeration.... now I have used Solder on suction lines ....

Post Likes
    Then you ought to know better than to use snake oil.

Post Likes
    I dont understand the idea is snake oil unless you disprove it or know enough about chemistry to have a reasonable doubt. I am old school (with an open mind). I am 51 years old. We live in a world with many advancements that sounded impossible years ago.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in