+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I dare you, post one of yours!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Im just wondering if you would ever use it again ?

Theres no effing way I would glue any part of refrigeration.... now I have used Solder on suction lines ....
    Solder?? Or stay bright? What refrigerant was the unit using?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benatwhodotnet View Post
    Thanks grkmano for the confirmation that I'm not the only one to ever try this stuff. BTW I tried it because Johnstone Supply gave me a bottle at their open house party. If some of you may have read my profile, I do have a bachelors degree in chemistry and there is plenty of evidence to support that this product WORKS AS DESIGNED. My post on this wall of shame is because I openly admit that the I used a product that had gotten old and discolored. It was purple instead of red when I applied it. No other failures have ever occurred and it is consistently hotter here in Phoenix than just about anywhere. Of course I have torches, mentioned before, and I use them regularly. So why all the bragging about you have used torches guys? Have you ever tried NEW THINGS? I run into this all the time, old farts that know it all and haven't learned anything since high school. Think before you post, you may not be so smart as you think you are.
    I only used this on a drain line. And only because I had to finish the install in an occupied space.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by grkmano View Post
    Solder?? Or stay bright? What refrigerant was the unit using?
    Oh I've only done it a couple times in situations where i didnt want to risk burning down a building , reg solder ..... shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=Snapperhead;14981291]Oh I've only done it a couple times in situations where i didnt want to risk burning down a building , reg solder ..... shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh/QUOTE]

Keep a roll of stay bright in the truck.. Can handle all pressures just use very very light paste.

Post Likes
    my old boss used that stuff on a copper to aluminium coil connection. worked great.....that was last year.

there's a time and place for anything. heck, propress fittings were impossible 30 years ago...now they are standard. I like to hear about new things.....sometimes they work, sometimes not.....but if you don't try, you'll never know. pretty much all the technology we use every day was said to be impossible/snake oil at some point or another......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Im just wondering if you would ever use it again ?

Theres no effing way I would glue any part of refrigeration.... now I have used Solder on suction lines ....
    I've used it 3 times total, including the failure. The first two times within a month of acquiring the bottle. I have a photo from 3/27/2010 showing the bottle... even though the purpose of the photo was to document removal of the block fencing that restricted air flow to the unit.

Name:  DSCF1935.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  63.0 KBName:  DSCF1940.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  59.6 KB

Note that the red bottle is visible on the pad. I have not used it since the failure over a year later on 9/6/2011. I prefer 15% silver sticks... always have, just tried something new.

Post Likes
    I've used it 3 times total, including the failure. The first two times within a month of acquiring the bottle. I have a photo from 3/27/2010 showing the bottle... even though the purpose of the photo was to document removal of the block fencing that restricted air flow to the unit.

Note that the red bottle is visible on the pad. I have not used it since the failure over a year later on 9/6/2011. I prefer 15% silver sticks... always have, just tried something new.
    Weve all bought some sorta snake oil and got bit....

Post Likes
    Interesting thread. I have never heard of this product in question. I would never try it on a customer I suppose without great results or it becoming the industry "norm". I would maybe think of using something like this at my mechanical testing facility (my own home) for sh*ts and giggles to see the results. I am 33 years old and like everyone else have seen products and technology continually advance. I try to stay open minded of new products but in these cases would rather be a follower than a leader. It's often hard to try something new when you know the "old way" is proven to work (in most cases). Many may disagree but I would love to see the day when there is a pex type tubing refrigerant line to be used. For all I know it's been tried in the industry or is under development. That's my dream though a kink free line set

Post Likes

I can't believe somebody let you tear down that screen wall. All you had to do was shorten your lines to move the unit back closer to the house.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeesspoo View Post
    Interesting thread. I have never heard of this product in question. I would never try it on a customer I suppose without great results or it becoming the industry "norm". I would maybe think of using something like this at my mechanical testing facility (my own home) for sh*ts and giggles to see the results. I am 33 years old and like everyone else have seen products and technology continually advance. I try to stay open minded of new products but in these cases would rather be a follower than a leader. It's often hard to try something new when you know the "old way" is proven to work (in most cases). Many may disagree but I would love to see the day when there is a pex type tubing refrigerant line to be used. For all I know it's been tried in the industry or is under development. That's my dream though a kink free line set
    Agreed. I would be willing to try it on my home. But thats it until it proves itself further.

Post Likes
    I accept the op's dare. Here is one I did my first year in the trade. It was new construction over an hour drive from the shop and the boss said "I don't care, the contractor is demanding that the ac be running so do it." and do it I did. A week later we had to go back because the backhoe knocked it off the pad when back filling the rest of the foundation.
    Name:  SSPX0168.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  13.5 KBName:  SSPX0169.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  12.6 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GJ-HVAC/R View Post
    Agreed. I would be willing to try it on my home. But thats it until it proves itself further.
    I probably should have provided that information. I used it on 1) my house, 2) my friend at work (this photo), and 3) Brother-In-Law's house. All three knew they were Guinea pigs except that my BIL did not know the product was too old. Neither did I until looking at a bottle at the store, realizing my stuff was dark purple instead of bright blood red.

Name:  DSCF1940.jpg
Views: 816

BTW, I used it on HIGH PRESSURE lines on purpose, because if it can't handle the pressure, I wanted to know.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post
    is this a joke? you seriously use this stuff? im not trying to be a jerk here but i can't imagine using glue to repair a refer circuit. on the other hand if this stuff works i am all ears!
    The chemical bond from this stuff is incredible, but the instructions are weird. You must use COARSE 60 GRIT sandpaper (provided) to rough the pipe, and do not wipe off the sanding dust. Then when you apply the red "glue" you wet BOTH surfaces because if you don't the stuff sets up so fast on insertion that the joint will be "cold" (not enough spreading/flowing). The copper dust is what catalyzes the reaction and it gets HOT. A slight twist is advised if possible, most likely you won't be able to go more than 15 degrees before it LOCKS. You must wait 12 minutes to reach 850psi strength (or to pressurize system), but I was evacuating within 5 minutes of application and opening the precharged condenser unit valves by 20 minutes as soon as 500 microns was pulled and stable on the lineset. This is Arizona and there was unmeasurable relative humidity (seriously we are that dry) at this install, so vacuum is very fast on a 5 CFM 2-stage pump.

If I were doing daily work on locations where I routinely swap compressors or filters, I'd use this stuff. The issue I have is that I do much more PM and service between compressor change-outs. And the product was getting too old in my truck from the high summer heat (140 F in the truck just about all the time when parked).

Here's some of the manufacturer's information and a video http://www.youtube.com/share_popup?v=U4Jk0oH2Ijo

Features
    HVAC SUPER PRO is an innovative, single-part, solder-less bonding product that is easy to use and specifically formulated for HVAC and refrigeration systems.

• Bonds Aluminun, Copper, and Brass in any combination.
    • 70% Faster than brazing.
    • Makes the same number of bonds as 1-1/2 pounds of brazing rods.
    • Cost less than 1/3 the cost of 15% silver brazing rods.
    • Never damge electronic circuits like thermal expamsion valves and reversing valves.
    • Reaches 850 psi in 12-minutes (1200 psi in 2 hours).
    • Compatible with all refrigerants and oils including poe oils.
    • Temperature range -650F to 3500F.
    Last edited by benatwhodotnet; 01-14-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: one more thing
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Post Likes
    Here's the thread I should have read FIRST... but I was not a member then...

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....ro-copper-glue

Post Likes
    That's the spirit... show us your worst, but don't keep doing that $#!T

Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    I accept the op's dare. Here is one I did my first year in the trade. It was new construction over an hour drive from the shop and the boss said "I don't care, the contractor is demanding that the ac be running so do it." and do it I did. A week later we had to go back because the backhoe knocked it off the pad when back filling the rest of the foundation.

Post Likes
    Just curious, did the contractor provide that dirt mound because that was the expected final grade?

Post Likes
    No, I provided that mound with a shovel and a wheelbarrow, the dirt was in the backyard from the excavation of the foundation. If I remember correctly the pad was 36 x 36 and just about three feet tall on the pile. I no longer work for that person anymore, I knew it was wrong when i did it, but the man that signs the paycheck said do it.

Post Likes
    Did he look like my avatar?

No, I provided that mound with a shovel and a wheelbarrow, the dirt was in the backyard from the excavation of the foundation. If I remember correctly the pad was 36 x 36 and just about three feet tall on the pile. I no longer work for that person anymore, I knew it was wrong when i did it, but the man that signs the paycheck said do it.

Post Likes
    Poles.

But I have also thrown a condenser on soft soil myself before, knowing it was going to lean to one side.
    GC says we're ready, he gets the choice. Do it now, or pay me a fee and we come back another day.
    He chooses do it now, he signs off on it. It fails, we come back and fix it for a fee.

Thats the only way you make money in RNC. Otherwise they jerk you around for extra trips. The smart GC's learn to call around and make sure it's ready, not just go by what they "think" they're ready for.

BTW:
    1107.5.4 Copper tubing joints. Copper tubing joints used in refrigerating systems containing Group A2, A3, B2 or B3 refrigerants shall be brazed. Soldered joints shall not be used in such refrigerating systems.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Glues for paper wood and kit cars. Braze is for refrigeration, solder possibly in an emergency situation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in