Need year-round A/C unit for small office with several computers (Cleveland, Ohio)

Hi,

I've had a Mitsubishi Electric MS-A12WA that has worked well for the past 5 years unless it freezes or the filter gets too dirty. Then it starts dripping inside and near/on computers! I typically start to hear ice chips inside the unit and it spits out ice/snow when this happens. Then I turn it off and I get close to a gallon of water that drips out of the unit.

There is a drain to the outside, but the installer said that it either fills up with dirt or when it's very cold the drain line freezes.

They are recommending replacing the unit with one that has logic that adjusts the fan and refrigerant when it's freezing outside, and increasing the drain pipe size plus wrapping it with heat tape.

The size of this unit is perfect. It keeps the office easily at 70 degrees. It's 90 degrees in here if/when I turn it off.

However, it I am going to replace the entire thing, I want to make sure I get something that will work as well as it can, with as minimal maintenance as possible, and with the least likely ability to drip inside.

Are there any self-cleaning A/C units that will run even when it's 0 degrees outside? What unit would you recommend I replace it with?

Thank you!

--Kent

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 02-02-2013 at 08:11 AM.

I believe your contractor is on the right track.

No system is maintenance free. But there is a simple solution. Get on a maintenance program with installer. He will come twice (maybe four) times a year and thoroughly clean the system. This will prevent any coil freezing (due to dirty filters) or drain problems.

I'm sure the computer room that this unit serves is a big investment. So, spending a little extra on a yearly maintenance contract shouldn't be a big deal.

auwing

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

If the current one works ok other then the drain pipe clogging with dirt or freezing in the winter. Why not increase teh size of its drain line and wrap it with heat tape.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ask the tech about a low ambient kit

Does the current unit have low ambient controls? Also I agree with Beenthere on sizing the pipe up. Also what about a condensate pump for the unit?

A new unit is not going to solve your dirt issue only regular maintenance is going to do that. If the AC indoor unit is getting dirty enough to freeze up due to lack of air flow.... how much stuff is in the computer fans and boards? Just sayin.

If the unit you have is working fine minus the freezing drain line and dirt I'd suggest some self regulating heat tape and insulation on the drain line and a maintenance schedule for dealing with the dirt.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.