Samsung... The end of a bad story?

Hello, I have bought a Samsung AQV12JX from an installer at Costco 5 years ago. It was not a good experience. So far I had two PCB replaced, two leaks, countless reprogrammation through the remote control. The unit vibrates a lot and is fixed on my wall so it makes noise in the house...

The company that installed it always made the repair and they are competent, of course they do not sell this product anymore but I still stuck with it...

I asked them to make me an offer to replace it since it is not really acceptable to pay and flush it down the drain 5 years later when the warranty ends, they came with this:
    Fujitsu 12000btu 14.3 seer
    Fujitsu 12000btu 23 seer
    Mitsubishi 12000btu seer 20.5

In Quebec, we have a law against such products to protect consumer, I have all the chances of winning this small claim out of them if I sew them and I think they know it. I don't want to do that if possible. I don't want them to make profit out of this at least, this way we share the responsibility.

Can someone tell me the cost a big company might have for these three units? All the pipes and wires will be reused so nothing to do on this side.

Cheers!
    Laurence.
    Last edited by Dad; 02-12-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks Dad and sorry for the misunderstanding...

Is there any ways to verify for me the pricing of these mini split so that I know the company made a nice deal with me?

Quote Originally Posted by llaforest View Post
    Thanks Dad and sorry for the misunderstanding...

Is there any ways to verify for me the pricing of these mini split so that I know the company made a nice deal with me?
    No pricing on here, sorry.

We'll try to help with any other general questions you might have though.

Best way to find out. Is call other companies in your area and get prices from them.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

your saying that you are reusing the electrical and freon lines. Are you positive that the electrical is correct. We had a customer with a mini-split that said the original installer had board problems, along with communication issues with the systems and they couldn't figure it out. We went over and the first thing we found is that they used the wrong type of electrical for the system along with a bunch of splices in the wires. We got those changed out and that ended ALL the problems they were having.

Hello cuchulain,

For the electrical line, it should be fine as it is a 12 gauge wire coming directly from the panel. The hvac is alone on that circuit... I do not see what could be changed on that side...
    For the comm problems and reprogramming, the tech told me it always happens on these models. The pump is only 8 feet from the head but it doesn't hurt to do some tests on the wiring to eliminate this as an error cause... Thanks for the advice.

I was wondering if any of you know of models of mini-split that would accept a thermostat instead of the remote? I would like to program it on seven days basis.

I was wondering also if all the pumps have cutoff on the condenser outside when temp gets really cold? It goes bellow -30C sometimes here and if I am not home, I expect the condenser to stop when it doesn't produce anything... In fact, my Samsung stop working after a week at -30 while I was on vacation. All the refrigerant is gone... Maybe a coincidence as it is not the first leak but still, not sure it's good for the compressor to work at such cold temperatures...

Cheers!
    Laurence.

I'm sorry, i didn't specify. I'm not going to speak for samsung directly as we do not deal with them, but with the Mitsubishi brand units the power goes from the panel to the outside unit directly, then a wire goes from there to the inside unit. This needs to be a stranded wire, as the outside unit actually powers the inside unit. this wire also is a communication wire that allows the two units to talk to eachother. like I mentioned in my earlier post though, the unit we went to the wire was a solid wire, with lots of splices and not the correct gauge. So when the units were trying to talk to eachother the signal wasn't making it back and forth.

Mitsubishi will also allow you to use a wireless programmable thermostat. You also have the ability for Internet hookup to control it from anywhere in the world.

I see what you mean cuchulain, the Samsung works the same way, the unit inside is powered by the outside condenser. There is like a 10 wire unknown gauge, stranded wire going from the condenser to the head inside. Both power and control goes through it... I hope this is fine...

Thanks Kangaroogod, exactly what I was looking for. It also seems Mitsubishi has been a reference for a while so I guess it is a safe bet.

Thanks!

for the mitsubishi units it's a stranded 14 gauge 3 wire (plus ground so 4 wires total). 2 of the wires carry power from the outside to the inside, and then with the way mitsubishi is designed 2 wires carry the communication (the 3rd wire and one of the power wires). If it is spliced or the wrong gauge then it just doesn't communicate correctly and causes alot of problems. Again I am not talking about the samsung due to my lack of knowledge on these, but a few of the other brands of mini-splits use this same type of wiring requirement.