The Irony of it all..........

Not much to say except the article speaks for itself.

Yep, free enterprise is improving..........

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/0...#storylink=cpy
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Not much to say except the article speaks for itself.

Yep, free enterprise is improving..........

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/0...#storylink=cpy
    Businesses fail all the time.....even in a great economy.

This guy built a furniture factory in the furniture factory capitol of the USA...... maybe he ran the biz wrong....maybe his mass produced fine furniture was overpriced.......

Now then.... let me tell you something about that area..... Ive worked in and around the Lincolnton, Hickory, that other little town area quite a bit.

Anyhow... you go into some of the mom and pop diners and markets down there and you can find your normal selection of southern breakfast bisquits such as sausage, ham, tenderloin........ but in that area the folks are partial to what is called "liver mush"......which I assume is chopped liver..... you can also get the popular liver mush sandwich down there too......

Ive eaten liver cheese before.....and while I find it tasty.....I couldnt eat it everyday...... which is what these north carlolina furniture building rednecks evidently do......

Liver mush bisquits, liver mush sandwiches....liver mush casserole.......liver mush stew....liver mush soup.....braised liver mush....... chicken fried liver mush......
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Businesses fail all the time.....even in a great economy.

This guy built a furniture factory in the furniture factory capitol of the USA...... maybe he ran the biz wrong....maybe his mass produced fine furniture was overpriced.......

Now then.... let me tell you something about that area..... Ive worked in and around the Lincolnton, Hickory, that other little town area quite a bit.

Anyhow... you go into some of the mom and pop diners and markets down there and you can find your normal selection of southern breakfast bisquits such as sausage, ham, tenderloin........ but in that area the folks are partial to what is called "liver mush"......which I assume is chopped liver..... you can also get the popular liver mush sandwich down there too......

Ive eaten liver cheese before.....and while I find it tasty.....I couldnt eat it everyday...... which is what these north carlolina furniture building rednecks evidently do......

Liver mush bisquits, liver mush sandwiches....liver mush casserole.......liver mush stew....liver mush soup.....braised liver mush....... chicken fried liver mush......
    Liver is good bait for cat-fish. A tad rank, I would not eat it.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Baby beef liver with a little bit of flower and pepper, fried onions and mashed potatoes, a vegetable or two. Sounds like dinner tomorrow.

I think this section says it all.

“We needed more orders is really what it boiled down to,” he said. “We thought they would materialize.”

Owner Bruce Cochrane, a fifth generation furniture-manufacturer, formed the company in 2011 with a $5 million investment and the hope he could make a profit off people who wanted to buy furniture made in America.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Id say most furniture bought in america is made here..... thats what western north carolina is known for...... besides being the capitol of child abuse in the USA...

Of course this guy was also marketing more upscale furniture.......and probably charging a premium for it.... and that was probably one of the reasons for his downfall.....

oh well..... another one bites the dust....... maybe the next one will be a blazing success.....

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Id say most furniture bought in america is made here.....
    From what I've seen, I would disagree. I think most comes from either China or Mexico. I recently was shopping for a kitchen table and chairs and a computer desk. I went to several places, and found very few American made items

One of the big problems making furniture, pianos, guitars, etc. is the EPA regulations and how expensive compliance is. They have driven the cost of spray finishing so high it is cost prohibitive. My Fender guitar is "made" in America but painted in Mexico because of this. I used to work with a local custom furniture maker. He converted his two car garage into a nice little custom shop. The government came in and demanded he install a $25K hood with filters, etc. and lots of recurring paperwork, inspections, and costs. That was back in 1996. He had to close up shop for sale to the public and only makes pieces for friends and family as a "hobby". He did great work but is probably working at a Home Depot now thanks to the government and his talents are going to waste.

When you factor in workers comp., OSHA, taxes, insurance, etc. and then add Obamacare on top of all that, you are going to see a LOT more businesses close their doors. These liberals are just getting started.

Western North Carolinas primary economy is driven by furniture manfacturers...... Look the area up on google.... google north carolina furniture.....

One business fails...... another is probably taking off like gangbusters somewhere......

I know all the plants in our area now are running full steam...... our projects departments is covered up in jobs....big jobs........

Deltas original news story really says nothing...... a business has failed....yet we dont know why...... but many want to blame the libs..... yet that doesnt wash because there are so many other furniture manufacturers in north carolina that keep on chucking out the furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    One of the big problems making furniture, pianos, guitars, etc. is the EPA regulations and how expensive compliance is. They have driven the cost of spray finishing so high it is cost prohibitive. My Fender guitar is "made" in America but painted in Mexico because of this. I used to work with a local custom furniture maker. He converted his two car garage into a nice little custom shop. The government came in and demanded he install a $25K hood with filters, etc. and lots of recurring paperwork, inspections, and costs. That was back in 1996. He had to close up shop for sale to the public and only makes pieces for friends and family as a "hobby". He did great work but is probably working at a Home Depot now thanks to the government and his talents are going to waste.

When you factor in workers comp., OSHA, taxes, insurance, etc. and then add Obamacare on top of all that, you are going to see a LOT more businesses close their doors. These liberals are just getting started.
    'So someone dies, do you think they are going to make everyone enclose every ladder in the province?'
    My boss's response when we mentioned that an external ladder on the side of one of our buildings should have a cage around it. Probably not a consideration in Mexico But then again life is cheap there.

Yes I remember a time when spraying Nitro lacquer involved the painter using the most rudimentary particle mask. Heck, we did not have a paint booth or any type of ventilation system, just left the door open. But since he was only doing underhood work (We spruced up used cars to look like new for car dealers) it was not like the finish had to be perfect. Nitro was great, spray it and it was dry in 15 minutes. Makes for great guitar and furniture finishes as the top coats dissolve and blend into the preceding coats. Turns out to be hazardous stuff though, cancer being one of the main downfalls.

Yeah, all this health and safety stuff is overrated. That is the problem with Social Security, people living too long. Back in the heyday of North America manufacturing people never lived much more past 70 so the coverage was affordable. Now people expect insurance to pay for them when they get sick while working and Medicare to cover them in old age. Life, and death, was much simpler without all these damn regulations and forms to fill out. Bet you do not see Mexicans filling out compensation forms.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    My boss's response when we mentioned that an external ladder on the side of one of our buildings should have a cage around it. Probably not a consideration in Mexico But then again life is cheap there.

Yes I remember a time when spraying Nitro lacquer involved the painter using the most rudimentary particle mask. Heck, we did not have a paint booth or any type of ventilation system, just left the door open. But since he was only doing underhood work (We spruced up used cars to look like new for car dealers) it was not like the finish had to be perfect. Nitro was great, spray it and it was dry in 15 minutes. Makes for great guitar and furniture finishes as the top coats dissolve and blend into the preceding coats. Turns out to be hazardous stuff though, cancer being one of the main downfalls.

Yeah, all this health and safety stuff is overrated. That is the problem with Social Security, people living too long. Back in the heyday of North America manufacturing people never lived much more past 70 so the coverage was affordable. Now people expect insurance to pay for them when they get sick while working and Medicare to cover them in old age. Life, and death, was much simpler without all these damn regulations and forms to fill out. Bet you do not see Mexicans filling out compensation forms.
    Mexicans get free healthcare in the USA, they do not meed to fill out any damn forms. "No Comprehendi English" In spanish, that translates to "screw you and give me the free sheet you are required by law to give me".

Disclaimer: While that is not the babelfish translation, mine is more accurate, but not as accurate as it could be since it was self-censored for profanity due to site related sensitivities. Before I edited it, it was pretty much as profanity laced as anything you would ever read.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Mexicans get free healthcare in the USA, they do not meed to fill out any damn forms. "No Comprehendi English" In spanish, that translates to "screw you and give me the free sheet you are required by law to give me".

Disclaimer: While that is not the babelfish translation, mine is more accurate, but not as accurate as it could be since it was self-censored for profanity due to site related sensitivities. Before I edited it, it was pretty much as profanity laced as anything you would ever read.
    I think the idea was that the Mexicans were doing the work in Mexico, but I could be wrong.