Help to scale a Wall Furnace!

I just bought this two story legal duplex in the Bay Area CA. We do not have freezing weather, but still need heating. The other houses in the area have wall furnaces, so I thought it is a good idea.

There was One floor furnace in the upstairs, due to vandalism(house was bank owned and vacant) parts of the furnace was stolen and to replace probably will not be economical. I was thinking to replace the furnace with a wall furnace. The upstairs apartment will have 3 10x10 bed rooms, one living room, eat in kitchen, one bath and a large dining room/family room in the back. total about 1000 sf.

I was thinking a 35000 btu wall unit in the middle near the old floor furnace. Or should I put two, one in the front room and one in the back dining/family room.

Another reason to close that floor furnace opening is that since each unit has its own entrance, I don't want the upstairs tenant to access down stairs because of the furnace problem.

...and how much is the calculated heat loss?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by artloversplus View Post
    I just bought this two story legal duplex in the Bay Area CA. We do not have freezing weather, but still need heating.
    The other houses in the area have wall furnaces, so I thought it is a good idea.

I was thinking to replace the furnace with a wall furnace. The upstairs apartment will have 3 10x10 bed rooms, one living room, eat in kitchen, one bath and a large dining room/family room in the back. total about 1000 sf.

Another reason to close that floor furnace opening is that since each unit has its own entrance, I don't want the upstairs tenant to access down stairs because of the furnace problem.
    San Francisco C.O. Heating and Cooling
    ______________ _ Jan _Feb Mar Apr _May Jun _Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
    Heating Degree Days 431 297 313 275 260 198 187 156 116 123 237 412 3005
    Cooling Degree Days 0.0 _0.0 0.0 0.0 _0.0 0.0 _0.0 0.0 35.0 30.0 0.0 0.0 65.0

17,000 BTU/hr at 28'F might be a close heating load estimate for 1,000 S.Ft. in the SF Bay Area
    12,000 BTU/hr at 40'F
    _8,000 BTU/hr at 50'F
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities