Setting a point that keeps a Heat Pump from defrosting

I guess you can't add on to an existing post, so I'll start a new one...............

If a person had a Carrier Infinity Furnace and Heat Pump with an Infinity Thermostat, could you set a point, say 40 degrees, keeping the heat pump from ever going into defrost and effectively eliminating unnecessary defrost cycles ? How about 35 degrees with 100% humidity ?

I know Trane does the defrost more adaptively, but what is the best method for brands that don't and are based on time/temp only. Pro's here have said that the time/temp method causes a lot more wear and tear not to mention the extra cost of fuel. It this really an issue with Carrier for instance ?

(I live in the Northwest with mild Winters)

Quote Originally Posted by mixer440 View Post
    I guess you can't add on to an existing post, so I'll start a new one...............

If a person had a Carrier Infinity Furnace and Heat Pump with an Infinity Thermostat,
    could you set a point, say 40 degrees,
    keeping the heat pump from ever going into defrost and effectively eliminating unnecessary defrost cycles ?

How about 35 degrees with 100% humidity ?

I know Trane does the defrost more adaptively, but what is the best method for brands that don't and are based on time/temp only.
    Pro's here have said that the time/temp method causes a lot more wear and tear not to mention the extra cost of fuel.
    It this really an issue with Carrier for instance ?

USE ADAPTIVE (Demand) DEFROST CONTROL
    ____ ________ _______ ________________

http://www.gpsinformation.org/joe/HeatPump2.html
    .................................................. . ....................
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

So, you are saying ? TRANE ? At least that what the author of the link says......unless these things are readily available on the market and contractors know about them and can adapt them into a system.

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    USE ADAPTIVE (Demand) DEFROST CONTROL
    ____ ________ _______ ________________

http://www.gpsinformation.org/joe/HeatPump2.html
    .................................................. . ....................

I can adapt any defrost board to any heat pump as long as its not a communicating system. I put a York guard demand defrost on my goodman heat pump.

Quote Originally Posted by mixer440 View Post

If a person had a Carrier Infinity Furnace and Heat Pump with an Infinity Thermostat, could you set a point, say 40 degrees, keeping the heat pump from ever going into defrost and effectively eliminating unnecessary defrost cycles ? How about 35 degrees with 100% humidity ?

You could. But it would cost you more money on your heating bill. Since the lock out temp for the heat pump would need to be 40 at the lowest, and may be as high as 50.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

jtrammel:
    "I can adapt any defrost board to any heat pump as long as its not a communicating system. I put a York guard demand defrost on my goodman heat pump."
    Okay makes sense.

That's something I know nothing about and would leave it up to a HVAC pro, but it seems like you couldn't do it with a Carrier Infinity system since it fully communicates. I suppose that you could "dumb" things down, but again that's beyond me.

beenthere:
    You could. But it would cost you more money on your heating bill.

Good point, that's what I was looking for. Seems like that's a major "feature" or not a feature between brands.

But, is this an issue ? I mean greater than half of the heat pumps work on the time/temp method of defrost, so do they cost more to operate because of this process as well as the wear and tear ?

Time and temp defrost heat pumps still cost less to heat with then the gas furnace. Yes they cost more to operate then an on demand defrost one. But not enough that you lock it out to prevent defrost, at least not if you want to save on heating cost. Really not a whole lot more wear and tear.The compressor doesn't shut (unless it has quiet shift) off so the wear and tear of starting is not there like you might think.

Dual fuel was around a long long time before the first on demand defrost boards came out 20 plus years ago.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?