Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Back to funding roads, should not the people that use it pay for it?
    Everbody benefits from the use of roads whether you use a car or a bicycle. You could be somebody who has never owned car and one day you need and get that life saving ride to the emergency room. Those grocery shelves are full because a truck delivered the product to the store. You could be a person with agoraphobia and the only contact with the world outside is QVC, Omaha Steaks and the friendly FedEx driver. Even that residence that you call home required the use of those roads to make that building possible. So unless you own your own island and live off what nature provides, everybody benefits and should pay for the use of those roads.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    We already pay for it in fuel tax at the pump. I also have to pay for my roads everytime I fill the tank for the boat and the lawnmower and the chainsaw and the weedwacker. IL also has the Illinois Tollway Authority to pay for the roads. When Blago was in charge, they introduced "Open Road Tolling". They were going to make our lives more convienient by not having to stop at the toll booths. We were offered the opportuniy to sign up to recieve a transponder and continue to pay the same rates. If you didn't sign up, the penalty was a toll double the price. They have since more than doubled the tolls for both the people with and without the transponders.
    Last time we went through Chicago I ran a bunch of toll booths. Kind of hard to dive across ten lanes to exit to pay cash. It seemed like they had milk booths every mile. I don't know where the toll go because the roads were like bombed out Afghani runways. Sad... I enjoyed it as a kid but I will bypass in the future.

Any company that is running CNG or LPG is bypassing road tax. They could care less about being green. It's like free ticket to run offroad diesel.

Polecats always want MORE $$$... yet they squander the $$$ they have.

The answer is not more $$$... the answer is to make the polecats accountable with the $$$ we already give them.

Not really hard to do... just vote a few out and see how FAST they start listening and obeying.

I read the approval rating of Congress is something like in the teens... yet over 90% of them were re-elected.

Folks... we have the government we deserve... until we choose to take control back from them.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Obama can fly his uglyass family to Hawaii on holiday at 5 million bucks, but we cant fix our roads....wtf?
    You sound bitter .

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsma View Post
    Everbody benefits from the use of roads whether you use a car or a bicycle. You could be somebody who has never owned car and one day you need and get that life saving ride to the emergency room. Those grocery shelves are full because a truck delivered the product to the store. You could be a person with agoraphobia and the only contact with the world outside is QVC, Omaha Steaks and the friendly FedEx driver. Even that residence that you call home required the use of those roads to make that building possible. So unless you own your own island and live off what nature provides, everybody benefits and should pay for the use of those roads.
    So then you suggest an increase in taxes to cover the infrastructure deficit that North America is finding itself in?
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    We in the service industry pay for it every day. I have no problem with that, because Im not paying for it, YOU will
    So then the money does have to come from somewhere. I thought so.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by 54885488 View Post
    You sound bitter .
    It is called accountability... polecats seem to not like that word.

Just 'cause he is POTUS... does NOT mean he can waste $$$. On the contrary... he should be setting an example with his behavior of being thrifty.

Might want to remember: It is YOUR $5M in tax $$$ that pays for BHO to fly to Hawaii... Do you like financing his arrogance? What would you do with a bit more $$$ in your pocket... that is... lower taxes?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

So then you suggest an increase in taxes to cover the infrastructure deficit that North America is finding itself in?
    I don't believe in raising taxes generally. The government already wastes too much of that already. If the amount collected from taxes is not enough for the current needs of our transportation system, than raising taxes on fuel is in order. That also means that if someone buys an electric vehicle that does not use gas or diesel, where they charge their vehicle should have meter that charges them a tax for the kilowatts they use instead. If you use a bicycle, a yearly fee should be enough. If you walk, shoes should have an excise tax on them like when you buy tires. And if you are trying to save the enviorment by using public transportation, dig deeper in your wallet, it costs more than what you are paying currently. If you don't have the expenses of car ownership, you should be able to pay for that bus ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsma View Post
    I don't believe in raising taxes generally. The government already wastes too much of that already. If the amount collected from taxes is not enough for the current needs of our transportation system, than raising taxes on fuel is in order. That also means that if someone buys an electric vehicle that does not use gas or diesel, where they charge their vehicle should have meter that charges them a tax for the kilowatts they use instead. If you use a bicycle, a yearly fee should be enough. If you walk, shoes should have an excise tax on them like when you buy tires. And if you are trying to save the enviorment by using public transportation, dig deeper in your wallet, it costs more than what you are paying currently. If you don't have the expenses of car ownership, you should be able to pay for that bus ride.
    so your answer is to tax everything?

I Jockey underware, do I have to pay a horse tax,

with all these taxes you propose, we should just change the name of the country to Sweden
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    so your answer is to tax everything?

I Jockey underware, do I have to pay a horse tax,

with all these taxes you propose, we should just change the name of the country to Sweden
    And how would you fix the crumbling roads?

Over the years I have done ALLOT of work with the local state and federal govt. There is so much overhead, waste, paranoia over making a decision and red tape etc. it's mind boggling! Anyone that bids on govt. projects has seen it, and that is why Govt. jobs always cost a whole lot more than a similar (same) project in the private sector.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Well, the first thing I would do is ask for the books so I could make a decisions based upon ALL the facts, not just an opinion of a citizen with only limited knowledge of what they allow me to see. Can't cut the cheese without having gas.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    Well, the first thing I would do is ask for the books so I could make a decisions based upon ALL the facts, not just an opinion of a citizen with only limited knowledge of what they allow me to see. Can't cut the cheese without having gas.
    there ya go. Money management. stop the waste. Besides is about 24 months the government will have about 3 billion dollars extra from the military, there should be plenty of money for roads, but they will pi$$ that way in a week or two
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast