Thread: Homeowner in need of help....

Post Likes

Angry

Long story short. I have a home warranty company that up until now, has been wonderful.

I have a 3 ton gas furnace. About a week ago, the pilot wouldn't stay lit, so we got a work order. Idiot number one came out, and said that we needed to have the unit cleaned, and suggested that we take it out and "take it to a car wash." Our warranty company has suggested that we contact any local company to have it serviced. We did that. That company was excellent. The tech said that the unit was old, and simply needed a total replacement of the A/C coil and the gas furnace. He tagged out the unit. We call back the warranty co, and they redispatch idiot number one, and he claims the unit is still dirty. My husband called him a co#$sucking moron, and kicked him out of our house . After going around and around with the warranty co, we get someone else out here, who says that the unit is all rusted out, and that there is one thing and one thing ONLY that causes a 60 year old unit to rust: neglect. That simply is not true. Can you all give me a list of EVERYTHING that can possibly cause a unit to rust, and a HX to crack... I know that ventilation and living in an extreme southern climate can, but I need a laundry list.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    IF the coil is/was dirty ,it could have ben freezing up in the cooling mode ,and leaking water into the furnace.This would be neglect ,from not cleaning the coil.

Dirty coil would also restrict air flow,can cause the heat exchanger to crack.Running it in heating with a dirty filter will cause the same.

Is it really 60 years old ,or is it six??assuming it's 6years ,water leaks ,from the coil can cause rust.

Gas furnaces require fresh air,in a southern climate the fresh air can be quite humid in the summer,could contribute to the rusting ,depends on the install and quanty of fresh air.

Post Likes
    Well - that's quite a story, and colorful.

1st -- I'd like to suggest you get another qualified opinion just to balance out the diagnostics.

Regardless of all the variables that may cause rust --- if the specific failure you have today is rust related... you may be out of luck, most warranties exclude rust. I mention this because you might spend a lot of energy on this to find out you need a new system anyway.

If you've lost faith in this warranty provider, most issuers of the insurance can offer more than one service or have a prorated value of the balance of the warranty - you might be better off taking your $ and shopping for a new system.

Post Likes
    Forget it, you're wasting your time. The Home Warranty company already has it in their computers that your furnace rusted out - they will not pay off, ever. This is why I stopped doing home warranty work, they look for each and every excuse to deny your claim.

At this point, it's a lost battle. You can argue with them until you're blue in the face, and if you bother with a lawyer to make them pay you'll end up losing money. Get some bids from a reputable heating contractor and get that sucker replaced.

Sorry, man, you lost.
    "We always fix it right the second time".

All posts are strictly my opinions and not those of my employer. I cannot make statements on behalf of my employer.

All advice posted by me is for educational purposes only, HVAC repairs should only be conducted by trained & qualified people.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by bears00
    My husband called him a co#$sucking moron, and kicked him out of our house .

well ....obviously somebody's been to finishing school.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    where did all of this come from.The original call was the pilot continues to go out,change the thermocouple.period.know the state of the furnace is a whole other story.ive seen hx crack after 5 yrs never mind 60 yrs.do a co2 test,get a technician there not a salesman.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tinner73
    Originally posted by bears00
    My husband called him a co#$sucking moron, and kicked him out of our house .

well ....obviously somebody's been to finishing school.
    What, you din't hear what you wanted to hear so you curse out the tech?

Our guy's are thick skinned, but I don't think cocksucker would have flown had one of them been called out to your home.

Wash hubbys mouth out with soap.

Post Likes
    lol, If your hubby used that langauge with me you'd need more than a furnace, hubby version 2.0 maybe?

If that unit is indeed 60 years old, there should be no discussion on it, it needs to be replaced...PERIOD!

Post Likes
    Naw, Hawk,

The guy thinks his furnace is still new. Must be eating frigging toad stools or somethin'.

Post Likes
    Does one really need an explanation as to why a 60 year old unit rusted out? Am I missing something here? Does anybody even make furnaces with stainless steel cabinets?
    Also, please name the home warranty company.

Post Likes

stainless steel furnaces

Originally posted by zzyzzx
    Does one really need an explanation as to why a 60 year old unit rusted out? Am I missing something here? Does anybody even make furnaces with stainless steel cabinets?
    Also, please name the home warranty company.
    Tempstar has 90+ with stainless steel panels.

Post Likes
    Come on the furnace is 60 years old> that is 40 years past its life time.
    the biggest reason for the rust is age.

time has come to send it to the scrape yard and put in a new system. You can get up to ten year warrenti and you will save on fuel bills also

replace it and be done

Post Likes
    just my opion...
    I see holes in o.p.'s story.
    what warrenty program would pull a warrenty on a unit that old?

I just don't see it happening.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in