Denali Park, Alaska, McMurdo Station, Antarctica

Confused A question about core charges

Howdy all,
    Been awhile since I was here. I have to send about a half dozen compressors up for disposal. About an even split between Carlyle 6D, and Copeland 3hp med temp discus compressors. the options are to let them go for scrap, or hope for a core charge-( not worried about getting money just trying to lay out options for the company- no dog in this fight).
    I would prefer to convince them to send them for resale- better to re use than just shred.
    Anyone have a ball park figure on what the per copy core charge might be?
    Thanks
    Yanertrivr-
    Trying to keep the ice sheet frozen down here
    Remember the lowest bid isn't always the best deal.

To err is human, to really screw things up requires an electrical engineer.

If brute force and ignorance isn't working for you, you probably aren't using enough.

What would you expect from a defense contractor- your money's worth?

the core might be the value of somebody picking them up and transporting, ie junk.

Local carrier distributor is paying something like $600 for the 6 cylinder Carlyles.

I don't think if you show up with a compressor they will pay. Usually you have to buy one... Install... Send the junk one back in thirty days. Its usually a core return kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    I don't think if you show up with a compressor they will pay. Usually you have to buy one... Install... Send the junk one back in thirty days. Its usually a core return kind of thing.
    Apparently there's a shortage of rally e cores for certain compressors and they are paying for cores even if you don't buy a rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    rally e cores
    That's supposed to say Carlyle cores, but my phone apparently thought otherwise

Typically a new compressor purchase would be required to receive a core credit. Most manufacturers offer a "buyback" program but you most likely would not recieve full core credit unless they were short on compressor bodies. Sometimes you receive more money just by scrapping them, but keep in mind, that getting the body back to the manufacturer keeps new compressor costs' down for everyone, since it is less expensive to remanufacture an old compressor to current specifications than it is to cast a new body.