Thread: Heat Pump Thermostat Wiring!! Why is it like this? Picture inside

Post Likes

Heat Pump Thermostat Wiring!! Why is it like this? Picture inside

I have a 2ton Heat Pump System.

I'm thinking about getting a programmable thermostat(prolly Honeywell 7600D) because the one i have right now sucks. I m confused on the wiring my installer did. Here is the picture. Please help me figure it out.

I understand the C, O, R, G, and Y but I dont understand the E and W2. I do not know what E is, W2 is AUX.

So here is the question. The brown wire goes in E and white goes in W2, BUT why has he connected a blue wire to E to W2???

If Im going to install the new thermostat do I did to do that also?

Here is the picture:
    http://i45.tinypic.com/23jo40p.jpg

Post Likes
    We don't give DIY advice here. Too many unknowns and we wouldn't want to be responsible for inadvertently causing any damage to you, your system, or your home.

Post Likes
    Only thing I'd add, is DO NOT RELY ON WIRE COLORS, until you've verified where they are landed. While there are some wire color conventions, it's not a requirment. The fucniton of wire colors primarily is to make life easier for an installer and so that you know a red wire 100' away is still the same red wire on the other end.

IF you don't know what "E" is and what every terminal does, save yourself the headache and call in a pro. A single mistake will cost you 1X - 10X more than what you'd pay to have it installed professionally. Plus they can perform a regular check-up on the whole system while they are there.

Post Likes
    If you pay for travel expense, then I'll come over and fix it.

Post Likes
    the installation instructions for your digital thermostat are very explicit. if they do not explain the enumeration of the old thermostat... you have the wrong thermostat.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zibby View Post
    If you pay for travel expense, then I'll come over and fix it.
    Didn't know that "pimping" ourselves to the public was fashionable in AOP!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    Didn't know that "pimping" ourselves to the public was fashionable in AOP!

I thought that was a perk to AOP membership!
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    I thought that was a perk to AOP membership!
    I thought the "perk", was educating the general populace!
    Building a higher more reputable name for "our" industry. Saving face, sort of speak!

Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    The jumper is in there cause e and w are for electric heat .e being emergency heat and w or w2 being second stage.the idea is to have a portion of the electric heaters to work as second stage heat and all heaters work when you switch to emergency heat.the way it is wired all heaters operate with second stage. If you wanna go buy your own t-stat go ahead but don't monkey with I t call a pro and let them install it it will save you a lot of headache and problems.I get at least 2 calls a month where someone has change out the stat there self and nothing will work 30 minutes later the unit is back online and I made easy money and the wife of the macho husband is sayin I told yo u to call someone now it's cost us even more.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in