Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What is the expected life of the filter--I see it's rather expensive....

The unit finally gave out, and I realized at least part of its poor performance was due to its age. The filters are not bowed. So do you think the two 16 x 20 grills in a vent of the same dimensions is adequate for the 5 ton unit ???

Nope, puts you at a velocity of about 565 FPM.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Is the vent itself large enough (with more or bigger filter grilles) ?? Could you detail how large the vent would have to be and how large the filter grills would have to be to adequately supply the unit ?? Thanks in advance.....

16X22, or 18X20 duct would be better velocity wise for your return duct. And who knows how under sized your supply duct is.

16X24 filter grilles will get you down to 470 FPM through the filters. 16X30 would be better.
    Contractor locator map

The life of any filter is dependent on how much dirt is in the air in the house. Do you have pets that shed? Do you live on a dirt road? How often do you vacuum? Are any renovations going on in the house? Do you indulge in your woodworking hobby in the basement? All of these will contribute to airborne particles that will load the filter.

I was originally addressing the supply air, not the return air. The supply vent is 16 X 20 with two 16 x 20 filter grills. Is that vent large enough to supply the unit, or would adding another grill help ???

Quote Originally Posted by bugstein View Post
    Is the vent itself large enough (with more or bigger filter grilles) ?? Could you detail how large the vent would have to be and how large the filter grills would have to be to adequately supply the unit ?? Thanks in advance.....
    Two 24" x 20" x 1", MERV 7 maximum, pleated filters
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by bugstein View Post
    I was originally addressing the supply air, not the return air. The supply vent is 16 X 20 with two 16 x 20 filter grills. Is that vent large enough to supply the unit, or would adding another grill help ???
    Air filters are not on the supply, they are on the return. The unit supplies air to the rooms, and then it returns to the unit.

Depends whee he grille is added.
    Contractor locator map

Shows how much I know about HVAC. But I don't understand--the air gets sucked through the filters from the vent grilles in the house and then heated/cooled by the unit. Then it is send through the various registers to heat/cool the house. So the air going through the registers is termed "supply air" and the air getting sucked back thorugh the vent is "return air" ???? The extra grille would be added to the existing vent, on a third side.

Would adding an extra 16 X 20 grille to the existing vent serve the same purpose ??? The two 24 X 20 grilles are 960 sq. inches, but three 16 X 20 grilles would also be 960 sq. inches ????

That would get your velocity down to 376 FPM. Which would be ok
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12