Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TXV Application Sporlan OVE-15-GA

I have a 12 ton R22 heatpump that has the above mentioned TXV installed. Unit works great in cooling but does not operate correctly in heat mode. Based on what I can find so far I believe this is an improper valve for a heatpump application. I searched here and Sporlan but could not find a definitive answer. I belive this to be an AC only valve and not a bi-directional as required on a heatpump. Can some one confirm this for me? Thanks

This is NOT a bi-directional valve.

Rather than ditch the valve you can install a check valve in parallel with the TEV....piped to all reverse flow.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    This is NOT a bi-directional valve.

Rather than ditch the valve you can install a check valve in parallel with the TEV....piped to all reverse flow.
    ^^^ what this guys said ^^^

Are you talking about the Reversing Valve?

Quote Originally Posted by aixha1969 View Post
    Are you talking about the Reversing Valve?
    No, he is referring to the txv, and a check valve in parallel with the txv will eliminate the need for a txv w/ internal check valve
    Point the arrow in direction of floe in heating mode
    :-)

How did the system run with that configurstion?.. head pressure spike and trip hps? or bypassing on internal relief? Just curious, never run into this yet. In heating obviously

Thanks to all for confirming what I thought. I believe I will just replace the valve with the proper bi-directional. I have never installed a check valve as mentioned so I am not exactly sure where it would be located. Just not exactly sure of the piping configuration. I would like a little more info on that for the future though.

As far as operation. In heat when it would start it will pull into a vaccum at first then suction and head pressures will even out to around 100psi. Switch to cooling and the the unit operates just fine

Thanks to all for confirming what I thought. I believe I will just replace the valve with the proper bi-directional. I have never installed a check valve as mentioned so I am not exactly sure where it would be located. Just not exactly sure of the piping configuration. I would like a little more info on that for the future though.

As far as operation. In heat when it would start it will pull into a vaccum at first then suction and head pressures will even out to around 100psi. Switch to cooling and the the unit operates just fine

Really?

A check valve is a few bucks and easier to do then a TXV

Name:  txv.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  15.5 KB

normal flow would be from right to left in the cooling mode which uses the txv.

in heat the flow would be left to right and bypass the txv

Nice diagram... even got the process tube on the bulb ;-) direction of flow arrows would be nice tho... j/k

thank you. haha.

Views: 247
Size:  16.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
Views: 247
Size:  16.2 KB
    Lol, instant classic right here!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast