Need Help! Caustic fumes - Hight Rise - Water Source Heat Pump vertical stack System

I need help troubleshooting. There are acrid/caustic smells and fumes, which seem to come from the area near a Water Source Heat Pump vertical stack System installed in my high-rise condominium.
    I'm perplexed.

The smells do not seem to be correlated with the system being either on or off in any mode, i.e. cooling, heating, fan modes. The smell is there even with the system off.

There are persistent fumes and a smell that seems to irritate the eyes if exposed to the are for too long.

The system is in one of the bathrooms and hangs from the concrete ceiling overhead and is concealed above a dropped ceiling.

First I need to determine the source of the smell. There are also Gas pipes which running vertcle through the building behind the walls. I'm having the gas and electric company check to see if it is an issue with these mechanical systems in the building.

Any advice is appreciated.

Could be a water leak, but really hard to tell from here.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Humm. There was a time several months ago that a few of the cieling panels below the unit were wet. I checked around to see if there was anthung unusual but couldn't find much. I thought mabey the drain was plugged and the pan was overflowing. The filter was dirty so I replaced it. With the filter off I could see the coil was very dirty. I cleaned as bet I could. How could a water leak cause these smells and fumes?

I'd call a professional and have this system serviced!

From the water source of your heat pump.

Could the toxic smell be dirty sock syndrom?

yea thats it.

How old is the system? How long have you been in this apartment? was this an issue before? Is there an open P-trap somewhere? Cracked drain pipe?

Have you had any remodeling done ei; new floors, new drywall, new cabinets? anything that might be related to glue? ~~~ vinyl adhesive for flooring? glue to help hold the drywall in place?

Has anyone blow your apartment done any of these things?

There are sooooo many tings that could cause this it isn't funny.
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

The unit is 3 1/2 years old. Located in San diego, on the 17th floor of high rise, hanging from the ceiling.

It's a Trane heat pump.... Model WPH 00401 182000010 etc.. Serial # W05F 32570.

Yes, there were many improvements made to the apartment. The coil is packed with dust covering at least a third of the coil behind the air filter. I believe it froze up once or twice several months ago when the air conditioning was being used. I saw water spots on the ceiling tiles and remember being curious what was happening. It not used very much due to the mild weather here in SD.

I have a tech coming by later this morning. He said it may be necessary to replace the unit because it is in a difficult area to access.

Any tips are appreciated. Do you know where I can directly purchase a replacement at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtl767 View Post
    The unit is 3 1/2 years old. Located in San diego, on the 17th floor of high rise, hanging from the ceiling.

It's a Trane heat pump.... Model WPH 00401 182000010 etc.. Serial # W05F 32570.

Yes, there were many improvements made to the apartment. The coil is packed with dust covering at least a third of the coil behind the air filter. I believe it froze up once or twice several months ago when the air conditioning was being used. I saw water spots on the ceiling tiles and remember being curious what was happening. It not used very much due to the mild weather here in SD.

I have a tech coming by later this morning. He said it may be necessary to replace the unit because it is in a difficult area to access.

Any tips are appreciated. Do you know where I can directly purchase a replacement at a reasonable price?

Thanks
    Yes the tech that came to your house should be able to supply you with a quote and any other info you may need.